Definite must haves for hospital visit? Vets- what do you wish you had taken?

ShaunaBinks
on 3/15/16 5:31 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Headed in tomorrow for surgery. Sticking close to home today with lots of clear fluids and a bottle of mag citrate. woo hoo.

Getting my bag ready for the hospital- vets- do you have any suggestions on what you wish you had?

• light robe
  • different flavors of protein powder, chicken, plain, vanilla , coconut
  • kindle, adult coloring book, 
  • slippers
  • loose maxi dress to go home in
  • mini flashlight 
  • my regular daily medication (anti depressant, asthma)
  • inhalers

I am nervous, excited, ready to get on the losers bench.  I find out later today what  time my surgery is.

Filling today with sugar free popsicles, jello, different flavored waters, vitamin water 0, broth , trips to the loo and work in betweeen. Downloading new books to my kindle. 

Lapband removal May 2014

RNY March 16, 2016    HW 258/ SW 249 / CW  235 / GW 149 (my goal. surgeons goal 170)

Karen R.
on 3/15/16 5:34 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I only took: light housecoat and nightgown, slippers and my phone. I wore clothes to the hospital that would be comfortable to wear home. I really didn't need anything else.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

karenp8
on 3/15/16 5:44 am - Brighton, IL

A lot depends how long you stay. I only stayed one night. I didn't take my own robe but wore one of their gowns backwards as a robe. It was much easier with the IV plus I didn't have to worry about staining my own. I did take my cell phone and charger and had a pillow in the car for the ride home so I could support my stomach if needed. Remember to walk as soon and as often as you can. The more you move the sooner the gas pain will go away!

chulbert
on 3/15/16 6:12 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Everyone is different but between sleeping, visiting, WALKING, and watching a little television I didn't have time for much else.  I also can't think of any reason to take protein powder to the hospital.

The one must-have you're missing is Chapstik.  You're not even going to be allowed water for a little while and your lips are going to get very dry.

selhard
on 3/15/16 6:32 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

When I read the "day before surgery" posts like yours, I get envious.  You've got some special months ahead of you.  From your list, I would nix the food items, kindle or any other electronic advice, color book, and flashlight. A maxi dress is a great idea and if you feel better in your own robe, take it.   I would add slip-on shoes, not slippers, for walking the halls, hygiene bag that includes lip balm/comb/mirror, notepad for questions and/or instructions, pre-written thank-you cards to leave with staff, and a pillow and water bottle for the ride home.  Any time not spent sleeping, sipping, or walking is better spent gleaning advice from medical staff.  Jealously saying, "Enjoy becoming a loser, too."  

selhard
on 3/15/16 6:40 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Personalities vary on this one but I'd recommend requesting, scratch that, insisting on no visitors in the hospital or a while after getting home.  It's private time to focus on staying hydrated and giving your full attention on what you need to do to keep yourself out of trouble.  Forget about the internet, cell phone, or other people.  Do you and do you well.  We can wait.

ShaunaBinks
on 3/15/16 8:28 am
RNY on 03/16/16

i think this is Excellent EXcellent advice

Lapband removal May 2014

RNY March 16, 2016    HW 258/ SW 249 / CW  235 / GW 149 (my goal. surgeons goal 170)

moe4572
on 3/15/16 7:18 am
with
On March 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, ShaunaBinks wrote:

Headed in tomorrow for surgery. Sticking close to home today with lots of clear fluids and a bottle of mag citrate. woo hoo.

Getting my bag ready for the hospital- vets- do you have any suggestions on what you wish you had?

• light robe
  • different flavors of protein powder, chicken, plain, vanilla , coconut
  • kindle, adult coloring book, 
  • slippers
  • loose maxi dress to go home in
  • mini flashlight 
  • my regular daily medication (anti depressant, asthma)
  • inhalers

I am nervous, excited, ready to get on the losers bench.  I find out later today what  time my surgery is.

Filling today with sugar free popsicles, jello, different flavored waters, vitamin water 0, broth , trips to the loo and work in betweeen. Downloading new books to my kindle. 

Everyone told me to bring Chapstick and I brought it but did not need it....I was give the sponge thing on a stick that could be wet to keep my mouth/lips from getting too dry. My Dr. makes his patients get up at 8 am, and not climb back in bed until 8 pm, so I needed my Kindle, cell phone and chargers. (I don't love TV). I was also thrilled to have visitors........broke up the day, and most that came to see me were willing to walk with me, so I had double the "Required" laps before I left.

Good luck!

ShaunaBinks
on 3/15/16 7:49 am
RNY on 03/16/16

These are excellent  suggestions!I do have lip balm and lotion for my hands in my bag.

the only reason i put protein powder in- i read on here somewhere that they try to give you what they have and you may not like it. but i wont bother bringing it. no need, its only a day.

I overthink everything!!!

Lapband removal May 2014

Dcgirl
on 3/15/16 8:07 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I second the posters above who say chapstick!  And a charger for your phone.  I only stayed one night and didn't need a single thing - they give you a gown and socks with treads on the bottom.  I had zero problems walking or sipping water.  I slept terribly since people came in all throughout the night.  I was so glad to come home and lay on my own couch.  Don't bring too much - it's a short surgery and you will find yourself in recovery before you know it.  Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics