craziest thing happening with my sugar

Teio
on 3/9/16 9:59 am
RNY on 03/23/16

the craziest thing. I wonder if anyone can relate.

I saw my endo prior to starting and she told me to half my long acting insulin...which I did...

and to lower my rapid insulin.

Well what has happened is that my sugar has skyrocketed. It's presently 14.5 after my shake. WTH?

Anyone run into issues like this? 

It has given me a massive headache and I am all shaky.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/16 10:25 am, edited 3/9/16 2:23 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Are you outside the USA?  We usually measure mg/dl -- are your readings mmol/L?  If so, I think the conversion would be around 260 post prandial -- is that 1 or 2 hours after your shake?  Are you using milk, water, almond milk -- and also, what is the carb count and sugar grams per shake?  Also, am I right that you are PRE-OP??

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Teio
on 3/9/16 10:55 am
RNY on 03/23/16

Hello! Thank you for quick response. 

I am on optifast and using only water as per instructions. 

Also eating veggies and drinking water flavoured with flavour drops. 

I am pre - op.

I converted my last reading of 13.6 to 244.8.

It is coming down but very slowly. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/16 10:57 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Did you take your glucose reading at 1 hour or 2 hours from the start of your meal?

Teio
on 3/9/16 12:13 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

Yes. I woke up this morning with a high number, and it spiked an hour after my shake. It is now coming down, but slowly. Not in the good range yet. 

I put a call in to my nurse. I am going to see what she thinks is going on . 

It's crazy. 

I am doing this surgery to help my diabetes, yet its causing my numbers to go wacky.

It is the first day. Let's see how the next 13 go.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/16 12:17 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am not a doctor -- so definitely make sure to consult with them ...

However, I did have the same issue before surgery.  About two weeks out, during my pre-op diet, the doctor wanted me to lower my insulin for surgery.  I ended up using about half the dosage I normally did -- and I did spike during that time.  It was explained to me that part of it was due to glycogen being used up in the liver -- which causes the blood sugar to go wonky.  Also, as Hala stated -- there are 20 carbs I believe in the powdered mix -- and fructose is the second ingredient.  I would definitely spike on that -- even NOW 2 years off of insulin and in diabetic remission.  

I would guess this is to be expected.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/9/16 11:24 am

if i remember correctly - the optifast has a lot of sugar... that would make my BS to raise then fall..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teio
on 3/9/16 12:14 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

Yes! Almost 20 grams of sugar and 16.7 grams of carbs. It does not have a fibre count to factor in either. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/9/16 12:17 pm

we had a few options to use instead of optifast. I chose shakes that were much lower in sugar. I dio don't have diabetes - but I couldn't imagine drinking so much sugar 3-4 times a day.  

I used some of the optifast- but I typically mixed them with low sugar variety... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teio
on 3/9/16 12:28 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

I am waiting for the nurse to call me with another option. 

I dislike my head feeling like this.

I keep reminding myself it will get better and be worth it when I am done.

Thank you so much for your advice. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 2 views