JP Drain Hurting and Partially out. any suggestions?

Kala2032
on 2/23/16 5:06 pm - Marrero, LA
RNY on 02/08/16

I go tomorrow to my Surgeon to get my staples removed and the JP drain removed but this morning around 4am I pulled the cover over me when I did I didn't realize the plastic tube was in the cover i was pulling. Needless to say, I pulled hard enough, I ripped the stitch from my body and it hurt. I ended up pulling some of the drain out. 

The home health nurse came by today took a picture and sent it to the doctor. He told her to pull it out, but her supervisor  decided it best to let the doctor do it.

My question is has anyone ever done anything like this?

I have pain with it. I wish they would have pulled it. I'm tempted to have an "oops" moment and pull it myself but the way he described it its long. 

sheriberi29
on 2/23/16 5:14 pm - Cleveland, TN

I put them in while stints are asleep . They are long. Some patients do well with post op pain yet get queezy when they are being removed . You don't wanna do that . Try to be patient for the dr and when he removes it don't hold your breath! Take a breath in and when he pulls it breath all that air out. Just my advice . 

sheriberi29
on 2/23/16 5:31 pm - Cleveland, TN

*patients not stints ... My silly phone case is bad 

Kathyjs
on 2/23/16 7:09 pm

I was shocked how long it was. Feels funny, not painful just weird

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/16 7:33 pm - CA

Don't pull it yourself.  It is a rather long tube and once you start pulling, if you experience pain, you are apt to stop and you will be worse off than you are now.   Just bear though the night and get it pulled tomorrow.  Your other option is to go to the ER, but there is no guarantee that they will pull it.  They may just assess you and that the drain is fine as it is, and tell you to wait til you see your surgeon.

Sorry you are going through this!  I had two drains with my surgery and they were a PITA.

Nik

Kala2032
on 2/24/16 3:02 pm - Marrero, LA
RNY on 02/08/16

Thank you for the responses.

Funny enough with the wriggling last night that I did before the visit the drain came out on its on. He looked at the hole and said it should heal on its own. Got my staples out though. yay! 

Height 5' 10, HW: 538 lbs 05/2015, SW: 444 lbs 2/2016, CW:213lbs 8/2017

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views