Hypoglycemia?

karen203
on 2/21/16 2:43 pm - Meriden, CT
RNY on 03/31/16

I'm in the process of revision to rny waiting on insurance approval. Lately I've been hearing a majority of rny patience end up hypoglycemic and this scares me. Is this as common as I read? I've read how some people even have to go as far as having their pancreas removed. yikes!

Karen

Deanna798
on 2/21/16 2:49 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

How common do you think it is?  I think I've gotten reactive hypoglycemia a few times from eating high sugar foods.  But overall I don't have it.  

I've heard of it,  but I don't think it's "common".

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

karen203
on 2/21/16 3:25 pm - Meriden, CT
RNY on 03/31/16

I've seen people talk about on YouTube and then I googled it and it seems quite common.

Karen

Grim_Traveller
on 2/21/16 4:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Hypoglycemia is not common. Reactive hypoglycemia happens now and then, but is 100% controlled by making better food choices. They happen yo be the same choices you need to keep the excess weight off, so it's to your advantage all around.

I've never heard of a single person needing their pancreas removed.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

karen203
on 2/21/16 4:27 pm - Meriden, CT
RNY on 03/31/16

I was stating what I read when I googled  hypoglycemia and gastric bypass

Karen

Deanna798
on 2/21/16 4:43 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

There are a few here who have gotten it,  but I haven't heard of any that has their pancreas removed.  I Googled it and saw that there are instances,  but I honestly don't think is a common as you are thinking.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

aesposito
on 2/21/16 4:51 pm, edited 2/21/16 11:32 am

I have reactive hypoglycemia.  99 times out of a 100, I get it because I ate something too sweet or carb-y or stupid. 

Although a minority may have medical causes, I suspect the majority of people you have read about are not making good food choices. 

And by the way, you really can't live long or well without (at least part of) your pancreas.  So I would take that with a grain of salt :)

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

rocky513
on 2/21/16 5:14 pm - WI

There is a difference between hypoglycemia (where you might have your pancreas removed) and reactive hypoglycemia.  Reactive hypoglycemia is the one that happens after surgery.  It is easily controlled by eating a low carb, high protein, healthy fats diet.  Since that is the way we are supposed to eat after surgery anyway, it won't be a problem unless you are eating off plan.  Sometimes strenuous exercise  can bring on Reactive hypoglycemia symptoms. When it happens eating a cracker with a little peanut butter on it stops the symptoms.  Eating sugary or starchy foods can cause a RH reaction too.  Eat right... and you have zero problems.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/16 5:20 pm

There is hypoglycemia.  And there is reactive hypoglycemia - RH. 

RH is rather common long term post op. It can be triggered by sugars and carbs. Even natural like from milk or fruits.  Most people learn quickly how much they can eat.  Some have it worse than others.  Nobody really knows why... 

I have it. I first noticed that app a year post op... I ate too many carbs at one sitting and an hour later I get the low blood sugars... It was horrible. That thought me to stop eating foods like that. Or reallylimit them and if I do eat them I combine them with fats and proteins. I.e. potatoes, or fruits. 

That is bad... But on the other hand - I hate the RH episodes so my diet is clean 99% of the time. The 1 % ..well I am almost 8 years post op so I know what and how much I can have. What to do if I get it..and also how to prevent it if I overdo on carbs.. 

I don't eat grains, (bread, rice, oats, etc) I don't eat potatoes .. I limit carots, and most fruits... I eat berries. Not a lot.. I don't drink milk.  

All those things I don't eat cobtributed to my weight gain before RNY... They would also make me gain weight now. I know..been there.. 

I still eat some chocolate (dark) and some other sweets.. But very seldom .. As a bite of someone else dessert..

When I forget the rules... I get RH and that reminds me why I DO need to follow the rules. 

I hate RH so much - that this really keeps me honest most of the time.. 

In a way RH is a blessing... At least for me... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

KrystalSlate
on 3/5/16 8:57 pm
RNY on 09/23/15

ok this sounds like me, i use to have type 2 diabetes. . but then now at night i will feel hot, sweaty, irratated, abs very hungry,  i though it was high blood sugar but checked and they are very low like in the 40's, so i know how to bring it up but am limited on stuff with out dumping,  i have a check up in a few weeks and figured id bring it up then.  so u guys are saying,my blood dugar could b dropping by eating carbs, like peas, potatoes and even fruits,  it normally happens about 3-4 hrs after i eat. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views