Do it!

iloveravens
on 2/1/16 10:47 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Research all you can about WLS, find the right surgeon, learn the ins and outs of your insurance company, join support groups online and in real life, educate yourself on possible complications.  Read this site to experience first-hand accounts of real life after surgery, from people who are weeks to people who have many, many years of post-op life!  Figure out which surgery is for you, figure out if you're really ready and you really want this life-changing gift.  When I say "Do it" I mean read, read, read, research.  Maybe it won't be for you?  Maybe it'll take you longer to "get it" than others.  Only YOU can choose to do it or not.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Deanna798
on 2/1/16 10:51 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I love you for posting this.  We needed it today.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/1/16 11:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Absolutely! Here are a few thoughts of my own regarding the Big Decision.

• Do your research, but make sure to do it from reputable sources. "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" is a fabulous book (written by doctors) and gives a great overview. Many hospitals' websites have good guides as well.

• Call your insurance company for more information about coverage. Use the phone number on the back of your card to get specifics about your plan-- others with the same provider can have completely different setups.

• Talk to surgeons when gathering information. Most surgeons do "information seminars" a few times a month, usually involving a presentation and some Q & A. Go to multiple doctors' seminars if possible. Get an overall impression of the doctor's style and expertise and trust your gut. Take notes, too, there's lots of good information!

• Make sure your head is on straight. Talk to actual people (in person or online) to find out what they struggle with. Take a good, hard look at your relationship with food and with your body. Talk to a counselor if you need to; most insurance companies require a psych clearance, and many WLS patients continue to work with a therapist post-op.

• Get a realistic view of life post-op. Check out some of the "what's on your menu today" threads to see what patients at all stages, including immediately post-op and those many years out, realistically eat in a day. Be prepared for very few carbs and sweets or snacks very seldom, and be prepared to navigate things like eating at restaurants and dealing with social situations.

• Imagine the good. What would your life be like without physical restrictions? Being able to exercise, play, walk without getting winded? Wearing the clothes you like? Being able to do things like fly or ride roller-coasters without shame. And decide if it's worth the hard work and sacrifice (and yes, there are a LOT of things you do give up) to get there.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Daisydoo02
on 2/1/16 11:36 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Love your post! A huge thank you!  Thanks for showing the other side!!! 

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Grim_Traveller
on 2/1/16 12:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Thank you Lanie. I wish I had thought of posting this.

99.99 percent of pele who have had weight loss surgery all say the same thing -- "I wish I had done this sooner."

It's given me my life back. Best thing I've ever done.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

karenp8
on 2/1/16 1:18 pm - Brighton, IL

Thank you so much for posting this! I am thankful each and every day for my surgery and my life since. I can do anything I set my mind to now and am so glad to be rid of all the meds I used to take for diabetes,cholesterol and blood pressure problems. I wasn't aware of how much life I was missing because of limited mobility from my weight. My only regret is not having surgery sooner!

robinreinhardt
on 2/1/16 1:27 pm

Lanie,

You are so right! It took me a year to come to grips about the RNY and if I would be ready for a tool and a lifestyle change. It's a huge decision and I wanted to be successful. I must admit it's a daily struggle to overcome my need to eat. Thank goodness for all of you and this site. Life is good.

Robin

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/1/16 2:05 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Great post! I'll just add that the power of denial is a big freaking obstacle to anyone even considering wls. If one can't face what led them to be obese & needing surgery, then they can't possibly hope to be successful at it. Admitting there's a problem is a first step, an important one at that.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 3:22 pm - CA

This is an excellent post, as are the replies to it.  Thank you for posting it!!!

Everyone here brings a journey with them so that they can share THEIR own experience with others, to help them along in that person's journey.   No two are the same.   This website has been around since 1998 and has provided resource information about the benefits of weight loss surgery, to hundreds of thousands of people.  Each of us has shared our journey with others to help them understand what our obstacles were and eventually what we have achievements were. We have answered over a million questions about what life is like after surgery and what to expect as we progress.  We know that our stories have impacted many.   Some have decided WLS wasn't for them and moved on, while others have joined the rest of us.  

To all of you who share your stories and insight for those that are here to learn about this surgery, THANK YOU!   You bring a wealth of information to this website and we appreciate you more than you will ever know.      

Han Shot First
on 2/1/16 6:23 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

THIS!

I am definitely in the "I wish I had done this sooner" camp.  

Listen to your doctor, listen to the vets, stick to plan, take the advice, and you will succeed.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 93 views
Recent Topics