help with ulcer

karin602
on 11/10/15 2:43 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

So I have a duodenal ulcer. Gastro put me on 40 mg. Nexium. I am having terrible side effects, lightheadedness, diarrhea, headache, nasty gas. Stopped taking it and called his office. The nurse said to try prolosec 20 mg morning and 20 in evening. Just turning to the forum for what might have worked for any of you who have had an ulcer. If it wasn't so dangerous to not treat it I could handle the pain but I know I can't do that.

Karin

Deanna798
on 11/10/15 2:56 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I've always used prilosec, and I had ulcers pre-op. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

sor09
on 11/10/15 10:18 pm

Work with your doctors for medical and Bariatric eating solutions. Ask about the H. pylori blood test... shows positive for ulcer issues which may show just how much or how little of you have. I got this done pre op, so I knew I had to skip all caffeinated stuff... I love sweet tea! BUT because of the potentials... I skip it all the time. With ulcers it's not just pain... there's internal bleeding that can happen too. The ulcer can be located at any place throughout your digestive track, so they might explore your insides a lot... it's usually found deep in the gut, treatable but remains and surprisingly can show it's teeth unexpectedly. I googled and searched a lot plus it was part of pre op training FYI for my Bariatric program. Hope you are feeling better soon.

karin602
on 11/11/15 3:44 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Yes I had an endoscopy to find the little bugger. It is near where the surgeon did the connection. Negative for h pylori. I go back in six weeks to repeat the endoscopy. Having problems with what the insurance will cover. The nexium was covered for 22 days and then needs to be reordered. Prolosec is only otc and will take a box each week. Comes to over 80 a month! 

Karin

Deanna798
on 11/11/15 8:24 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I get prescription generic prilosec. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/11/15 4:43 am

I take generic Omeprozole.  The best price for OTC meds PPI are Costco or Sam's. 

I pay app $13 for a box of 42 pills... (Omeprozole -20 mg - generic for prilosec )

Following that with a very bland diet - no raw foods, cooked easy to digest foods...

When I had an ulcer - mild blended soups were a blessing. Cooked chicken.. With some cooked carrots.

Realizing than I rather be bit hungry than in pain. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mamata2
on 11/11/15 6:41 am

When we found my ulcer I was put on Carafate.  It's disgusting but it works so well.  It may not be right for you but it might be worth a try.  Good luck!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/11/15 8:21 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Glad you're addressing the issue.  Keep us posted.

Here's some info on Nexium from  http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/nexium

Nexium

Generic Name: Esomeprazole

Share This Information

6 Facebook   Twitter
Print

Starting a GERD or Ulcer Drug?

Our nine-week newsletter series, written by a pharmacist, will help you learn about your medication. Sign Up Basics | Dosage | Side-Effects
  • What is this medication and its most common uses?

Nexium is a medicine known as a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) that is used to treat and maintain healing of erosive esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus [the tube that connects your mouth and stomach]), and to treat heartburn and other symptoms caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Nexium is also used to reduce the risk of stomach ulcers in people on continuous therapy with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (such as ibuprofen); for long-term treatment of conditions where the stomach makes too much acid, such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. It is also used with other medicines to eliminate the bacteria that often cause ulcers (known as Helicobacter pylori). Nexium is available as capsules and as an oral suspension.

• What should I know when beginning and continuing on this medication?

How does this medication work?

Nexium is a delayed-release medicine (releases medicine into your body at a later time from when you take it). It works by reducing the acid in your stomach

Sharon

karin602
on 11/11/15 2:07 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

thanks everyone for the input. Insurance now says it will cover generic prilosec for 22 days but might consider more if Dr calls. Naturally he's out of town until Monday. Picked up generic at Walgreen s for 979/14 pills which should last a week. By then I'll know if I get the same type of side effects from it or if it works.

Karin

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 180 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 262 views