The scale

Salmygal
on 11/8/15 8:20 pm

I have turned into a crazy person. I had a revision to RNY from lapband on 10-26. I have gone scale crazy, weighing myself multiple times a day and feeling disappointed that I only lost 2 lbs this week. I know that there are lots of things happening as my body heals. I had my daughter hide my scale. It didn't seem to be healthy. So my question....how often do you weigh yourselves?

White Dove
on 11/8/15 10:44 pm - Warren, OH

You just had weight loss surgery.  Being obsessed with the scale will help you to stay focused on your weight loss journey.

Personally I allow myself to weigh as often as I please.  I never miss once a day, but if I am in a weight loss phase then I might weigh many times a day.  I just get a thrill out of looking at the lower number and I need to remind myself that I am really losing.

Weight loss after a revision is typically slower than with a "virgin" RNY.  If you could lose two pounds a week for a year, that would be 104 pounds.  You have to learn to be friends with the scale and to have realistic expectations.  If you hide the scale then you miss the fun of seeing it go down.

You also encourage a scale denial mentality.  During periods when I hid the scale, I have always weighed more when I took it out again. 

Use the Postop Planner on this site to set up your monthly goals.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/15 1:18 am
Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/10/15 1:40 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

When you are so shortly out of surgery - wait at least one week after you are discharged because when you are in the hospital your fluid levels are messed up and your weight will vary quite a bit because of your hydration level.  Once a week after that was enough for me - I had no trouble staying on the plan my doctor gave me and I knew I just had to give it time.  In that case, weighing more frequently did me no good and I would get concerned (OK freaked out) by a 'blip.'  I weighed every Sunday morning and  I saw the scale getting lower each time. write the number in my planner.  On the first Sunday of each month, I took measurements. 

I am now moving into maintenance and may move to weighing more frequently - although I want use the scale as feedback and not to be ruled by the Tyranny of the Scale.  I will probably need a more frequent reminder that to stay honest with myself and on track now that I am at my goal weight. 

I would build up some more confidence that if you stay on the plan the doctor has for you, that the weight will come off.  I lost about 12-15 pounds a month - I never lost 30 pounds a month like some lucky people - but over time 12 - 15 pounds a month adds up!!!

Hang in there

Sharon

Doingrightin2015
on 11/9/15 2:29 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I weigh every morning if I am home! I get up start the coffee and get my vitimans out and then I weigh before drinking/taking meds or eating. That is it. My weight loss is slow, but I have come to grips with that. But like above weighing daily keeps me on track and I will do this all the time. I have found in my pass that when I stopped weighing I gained. Out of site out of mine so to speak. With this being said, not all feel this way. This is just me! The hardest part to understand and get use to is the raise and fall of my weight sometimes....but all in all it keeps me in check.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

peachpie
on 11/9/15 5:57 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Right after surgery I didn't weigh at all; I waited until my post-op appointments, at the suggestion of my doc.  

Now I weigh once per week. I'm not one who could weigh daily; the fluctuations wold upset me to much. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

yankeescl
on 11/9/15 6:24 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I have weighed myself every Friday since beginning my program.  I have not deferred from that and I am over 2 years out.  For me, it is just enough to keep my weight in check without being overly obsessed with it.  Best of luck and congratulations on your decision!

LynnAlex
on 11/9/15 1:23 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I usually weigh 2 times a day.  When I wake up, I weigh and then write in on my notebook.  I also weigh just before bed. This one just helps me sleep.  I usually weight 2-3 pounds more at night.  If I notice I weigh the same thing at night, that I weighed in the morning, I know I'll lose weight the next day.  If I am 2-3 pounds heavier at night, I know I won't lose weight the next day.  I have found that I usually drop 2 pounds one day, then maybe 1 pound the second day, then I go for 5 days either gaining 1 pound or staying the same.  So, I have noticed a pattern and it keeps me from anxiously waiting everyday for a change downward. 

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/10/15 1:43 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

This would drive me crazy, but it's good to know that people are experimenting with what works for them and sticking to it.  Keep up the good work!!

Sharon

Calo83
on 11/9/15 2:26 pm
RNY on 05/20/15

I weigh once a day but it's an insurance requirement for me.

otherwise I'd probably just weigh on Fridays.

btw two pounds a week is considered difficult for non surgery people so your doing great!

HW 350 SW 275 CW 182.3

stepping stone goal 180

gastric bypass may 20th

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views