itching!

pennylee
on 9/11/15 8:38 pm - Seaford, DE
RNY on 12/18/15

Dr has me on a high protein low carb diet.   I have lost seven pound in three weeks.  My RNY is scheduled for December18th.  but I have begun to experience itching on my legs  since I gave up drinking diet soda my legs are not as edematous.  can any one give me some input on this itchy situation? 

White Dove
on 9/12/15 2:29 am - Warren, OH

This is my opinion and solution.  Every day we shed millions of dead skin cells.  With rapid weight loss the body cannot get rid of the dead cells quickly enough and they form a layer of itchy dry skin.

Adding creams and lotions binds with the dead cells and makes them stick tighter like making pie dough.

Exfoliate before bathing by dry brushing.  Use exfoliating formula to get the skin cleaner.  Don't use oil or lotion.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

pennylee
on 9/12/15 6:13 am - Seaford, DE
RNY on 12/18/15

thank you so much!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/12/15 8:09 am

Or... You are allergic to whatever you eat or drink... 

I am allergic to soy - I itch if I consume that... In my case - it is my head and my hands... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pennylee
on 9/12/15 10:59 am - Seaford, DE
RNY on 12/18/15

thank you!

Marys1521
on 9/12/15 9:16 pm

Your skin may actually be too dry. When my skin is dry, it really starts to itch. Sometimes I also take an antihistamine and put cortisone cream on my itchy areas. Other times I use Jergen's lotion and rub it on my legs. Hot baths can make the itching worse. If I have a spot that won't stop itching, I put an ice cube wrapped up in something so it is not directly on my skin on the area. The cold stops the signal that is saying scratch! It might not actually be related to your diet. As you can probably tell, I have a lot of experience with itchy skin!!!

losing_the_band
on 9/13/15 3:00 am
Revision on 08/27/15

Since you said that you aren't having as much edema in your legs, it could be that your skin is itching as it shrinks back.  Several years ago, I had a fairly severe allergic reaction to a bug bite, which made my foot swell up like a balloon.  Once the swelling started going down, my foot itched like the devil because the skin had stretched.

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/13/15 8:07 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Not sure what you are starting at -- but I has a similar experience (and I think White Dove is on the money) when I first started losing.  I actually found coconut oil after my shower in which I exfoliated to be the very best thing for it.  I just bought the absolute cheapest kind I could find -- 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 359 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 335 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 352 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?