BODY SHAMING

selhard
on 9/8/15 6:52 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

...it reminds me of kicking someone when s/he is already down.  I was the direct recipient of this sometimes sensing it was not for the sake of shaming just me but as an opportunity to spew hatred toward all of fat society.   

White Dove
on 9/8/15 7:01 am - Warren, OH

It is done by insecure and ignorant people who sometimes are actually jealous of you and your achievements.  They really hate themselves.

I always counter attacked by shaming back.  I would point out their flaws and make fun of their big ears, ugly nose, clothes, feet of anything else I could quickly find to laugh at.  Just looking at a person's feet without saying a word will make them uncomfortable.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LadyBaltimore
on 9/8/15 11:31 am
RNY on 07/27/15

"Just looking at a person's feet without saying a word will make them uncomfortable."

White Dove, you do know the human psyche so well!  *tucks in mental pocket*  

I've definitely been fat shamed before, but it's generally done with looks and snickers rather than outright comments.  There was one time I was walking down the street in lower Manhattan when a guy on a bicycle rode past me, whistled and yelled, "That's how I like 'em!  Big ladies!"

I promptly went home and got sick.  

It's funny.  I work at a college and some of the larger female students will give me a shy/embarrassed smile when we're walking past each other or interacting, and I swear it's about the fact we have "that" in common.  (I can honestly say I'm the largest female on campus.)  I always return the smile with warmth, but it makes me die a little inside each time for the student.  

Sigh,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

lynnc99
on 9/8/15 7:54 pm

My response, similar to yours, is "I can't believe you said that."

Shuts 'em right up.

phibbmom
on 9/8/15 7:58 am

Once I was in a bar at the beach with my girlfriends and we were all dancing and having a great time.  A young man came up and asked me to dance - he was with a large group of young man and they were all laughing a few feet away.  I said no and he persisted.  He really wouldn't leave me alone and finally I said to him, how do you think your mother would feel about what you are doing right now.  He turned around and left me alone the rest of the night.  They went out of their way to make me feel bad.  I wasn't bothering anyone.  Just dancing and having a great time with my friends.  I don't get it!

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

Dibaby45
on 9/8/15 9:38 am

I think this type of man, who are always in groups mind you when this happens, have to find someone to target and make fun of. It really just showing their maturity is all. They were bored and insecure about not being with a girl at a bar so instead they had to target someone and you were it. It's just like high school..just in a bar setting. I'm sorry. *hugs*

Surgeon: Dr. Heydari. Lap-Band to RNY bypass. Surgery June 23, 2015.

SkinnyScientist
on 9/9/15 9:10 am

I don't get it!

-I totally do. Here is the lowdown. They are small pathetic people that have not been brought up well. They are also insecure and need to be seen as "the big man" by their friends because they have no real talents, skills, intelligence, or personality that would otherwise make them "Notable" in their own right. Seriously, that person is so talent-less and has a personality so sucky that he cant even make a good socially acceptable joke. He probably isnt fun to hang out with either, considering that he has to target people. People who target others are terrible to hang out with because they: a) start fights or b) just look like ********

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Pokemom
on 9/8/15 6:47 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Selhard:  did this happen just recently?

selhard
on 9/8/15 8:55 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

No, it just came to mind after watching this morning's TV segment about a new YouTube video called Dear Fat People by Nicole Arbour.

Pokemom
on 9/8/15 9:02 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I just yesterday saw a link to this interview with a journalist who has written a book on our shaming culture and how,there is a resurgence of it with social media.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/7/9272781/jon-ronson-publicly-shamed-interview

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 269 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 177 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 122 views