I never feel full!

Izzi
on 9/2/15 5:02 am
RNY on 08/12/15

I never feel full!! I can not tell if I am fighting hunger or head hunger! I never feel full! I thought by three weeks out I should feel full when eating? 

I have my post-op appointment today and will ask the doctor....just feeling a bit down.

izzi

HW-330, SW-312, SD 8/12/15

selhard
on 9/2/15 5:31 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I try to make the terms "hungry" and "full" mute terms in this post-WLS life.  It's not all that hard given I follow a NUT's recommendation to eat every three waking hours.  In fact, I feel like I eat and drink more now that before WLS; the quantity and quality is vastly different is all.  I have a hunch you'll find this true after a while, too.

Izzi
on 9/2/15 6:10 am
RNY on 08/12/15

I will try to remove those terms too! I am probably just being sensitive today! lol! I think my hormones are all over the place the past 2-3 days!

ladygodiva1228
on 9/2/15 5:54 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On September 2, 2015 at 5:02 AM Pacific Time, Izzi wrote:

I never feel full!! I can not tell if I am fighting hunger or head hunger! I never feel full! I thought by three weeks out I should feel full when eating? 

I have my post-op appointment today and will ask the doctor....just feeling a bit down.

izzi

You had nerves cut and at 3 weeks they are not healed yet.  You really need to make sure you are measuring everything. 

Are you on a PPI?  How is your water intake? 

Izzi
on 9/2/15 6:15 am
RNY on 08/12/15

Yes, I am on a PPI, and I struggle to get in all of the water every day, but I do get it in on most days. I am measuring, but maybe I am just jumping ahead. 

rocky513
on 9/1/15 11:14 pm, edited 9/2/15 12:34 am - WI

Not feeling full is NOT the same as being hungry.  You need to measure your portions out and eat only that. Re-learning to be satisfied with a much smaller portion size is a very important part of being successful with WLS.  I've noticed that the folks who stop measuring and rely on the "full feeling" to tell them when to stop eating are usually the people who have  large re-gain.

Head hunger is a hard thing to understand.  My mantra is "hunger is NOT an emergency".  Nothing bad will happen if you ignore it.  You have plenty of reserve fuel for your body to use as energy.  If you're taking your vitamins and reaching your protein goals, you are nutritionally OK.

I found that  it helped to eat by the clock.  I ate very small (protein forward) meals every 3-4 hours.  Anyone can wait that amount of time until they eat again.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Izzi
on 9/2/15 6:17 am
RNY on 08/12/15

Great advice!! Thank You!

I will work on that, and making sure I measure every bite!

delprov
on 9/2/15 8:28 am - Johnston, RI

I am so glad that you posted this.

I am one week out as of today and I have had no trouble at all drinking and tried eating because I just feel fine. My meal (3 ounces of beef tips, 1/4 cup mashed potatoes, 3 ounces of squash) went down fine. I ate slowly and chewed everything to applesauce consistency and I didn't feel full. I felt like I should have kept going but I didn't want to pu****

I'm also struggling with wanting to graze on the crap I'm never supposed to eat again.

Seeing people's responses, I'm realizing that I need to truly set up an eating schedule and stick to it. NO grazing and NO acceptions and ALWAYS measure.

We didn't come this far to fail. We were given this tool and we're going to use it the right way. We owe it ourselves to be healthy. We owe it to our bodies to treat them well.

I am struggling too and you are not alone. PLEASE feel free to message me if you would like to talk or vent. I could use someone who is also in my position to compare notes!

Stay strong!!!

karenp8
on 9/2/15 11:54 am - Brighton, IL

Measuring is SO important. You ate 8 ounces or one cup of food and are only one week out? How much does your surgeon's plan call for you to eat? I am one 3 years out and below goal and one cup is what I eat for a meal! So please get out the cup and measure out what your doctor suggests and then stop.

Izzi
on 9/2/15 1:37 pm
RNY on 08/12/15

I think it is awesome that you are so positive! 

I am three weeks out and only allowed 1/4 cup of food at my 3 meals and my program really discourages any snacks other than a protein shake or low fat string cheese. From what you stated it looks like you are eating close to a cup at a time? I would think that would be too much for you to handle at one time or is that what your doctor wanted?

I hope you stay in touch!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views