Obstruction, Spigelian hernia

selhard
on 8/21/15 1:20 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Eight new lap holes from an 8/7/2015 obstruction take the place of five old lap holes from an 11/26/2012 RNY.  Pain started out feeling like pressure, then nausea with vomiting. A CT scan at a local hospital determined an obstruction due to a rare, Spigelian hernia.  I requested and was referred to my WLS surgeon's hospital. Mess was placed to displace the small bowel contained in the hernia. I was discharged within 24 hours of surgery which felt way too soon.  Recovery at home included a soft diet and needing help getting up and down.  Pain was controlled with Tylenol and wearing a velcro binder.  Stitches were removed eleven days post-op. Even though the surgeon says there is no way to determine what caused this complication, I believe it originated with constipation problems I've been trying to manage for months. I am now taking a capful of Miralax both morning and evening along with probiotics, magnesium, a proper diet, 100 ounces of water, flax oil, a daily walk, and more.  The heels and zip-up jeans sit in the closet while the elastic-band pants and slip-on shoes are back on.  Dark clouds should give way to sunshine again; I will be hopeful and appreciative until the bitter end.

Butterfly-Kisses
on 8/21/15 1:40 pm - Canada

I hope you have a speedy recovery.  I too had a problem with bms after surgery.  I was not constipated but I seemed to lack the muscle or urge to go. I started on 500 magnesium and within 2 days I am going daily. Magnesium seemed to be the answer for me.  

Pokemom
on 8/21/15 2:57 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Hard!  I have missed your smiling face and happy humor here lately.  Sounds as if you have missed those same things.  Here's hoping all mends well.  You will have a good joke about all the lap holes eventually:  I feel one working in your head. 

BTW, for constipation, I love this herbal formulation called "Lower Bowel Formula" by the Dr. Christopher brand.  You can buy it on Amazon.  Really really effective, without difficult side effects.  Take up to 6 tablets a day.  I take 6 at night if I feel stopped up.  Sometimes I take 2 in the morning, and 4 at night.  Let me know if you try it.

crazy4birds
on 8/21/15 3:22 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I had my gallbladder through one incision in my belly button a few years ago and a year later I developed an incisional/umbilical hernia.  The recovery from that surgery was the worse I ever had.  They kept me overnight after the gallbladder, which I didn't need and sent me right home after the hernia.  I could barely get out of bed even with help.  That binder felt like it was holding me together for weeks.  It was the middle of summer, over 100, so I wore it on the outside of my clothes for comfort and didn't care that I looked like a freak.  

Glad you are doing better.  Constipation is a real issue for us WLSers.  I tried to explain this to my primary care doc when she told me I have thrombosed hemorrhoids and to avoid straining.  Avoid straining!?!!  I'm just happy to go!

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

phibbmom
on 8/21/15 4:07 pm

So sorry that you had to have another lap surgery!  Also sorry for the obstruction . . . what a miserable thing to have happen!  Glad you are on the mend.  Take care of yourself.

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

Kelly M.
on 8/21/15 1:55 pm, edited 8/21/15 1:56 pm - TX

Wishing you well soon.Take care...

Kelly in Texas   Gastric Bypass   Oct 15 2012  

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/21/15 10:54 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Thank you for sharing your experience.  It is really helpful so that others can potentially recognise when they might have similar issues.

Hernia's (and the smaller, internal ones especially) can be more painful than anyone gives them credit for in my experience.  Hope you heal well and find your feet soon.  Ash

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/22/15 7:00 am

Daily Miralax and magnesium is a must for me... 

Glad you feeling better...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Silverbelle69
on 8/22/15 8:51 am - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

I take Prescription Linzess for chronic constipation. Let's just say it WORKS.    Maybe it works too well.   It might be worth a mention to your gastro doc or PCP.  Hope you feel better soon and sending you good wishes!!

Karen M.
on 8/22/15 2:26 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Sounds absolutely miserable and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I had an obstruction a few years ago that they treated non-surgically in the hopes of it "righting itself" (which thankfully it did after a week in the hospital with an NG tube - worst week of my life I think lol). Speedy recovery and I hope you're feeling well very soon!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 260 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?