I'm so impressed with everyone's menus, but...

kaniky
on 7/17/15 10:19 am
RNY on 05/18/15

are there times where you "cheat"?  I was looking up things at Taco Bell (I've been having a craving) and something like pintos and cheese and one hard taco totaled around 400 calories and 20 grams of protein.  That would fit into my budget of everything and it's not something I would do very often. 

Is it something you simply avoid completely or do you allow yourself some treats every now and then. 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

auntmimi
on 7/17/15 10:29 am

How far out are you? I know my first 3 months I craved everything, but my plan was so regimented that I couldn't have things, which only made me want them more.

Could you make it at home? Would that help your craving? I am over a year out and I eat beans frequently. I did have a taco a while back. i found that I didnt like the shell, so I didnt eat it. So basically it was taco meat with lettuce and tomatoes.  My Dr. told me this in the beginning (he is a RNY patient also, so I value what he says) if you are craving something then have 3 bites of it. I have found that works for me. Every person is different. Every Dr. and NUT has different plans. Ultimately its your choice on what you do! I dont believe any of us are perfect!! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/15 10:33 am

I would make your own and plan it into your menu. I have not been in a fastfood place in two years. I just can't bring myself to do it. Make a taco salad.

kaniky
on 7/17/15 10:33 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I'm 8 weeks out.  I am also a revision from lap band to gastric.  I don't want to mess this up.  

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

lynnc99
on 7/17/15 10:41 am

Taco Bell beans were actually on my list for the "soft" foods stage. That early out, I wasn't worried much about calorie counts. They were delicious and the truth is, for the most part I don't even like Taco Bell!

auntmimi
on 7/17/15 10:43 am

Each plan is different. At 8 weeks out I was just starting onto the softer foods. My progression was very slow due to having a few complications. I did have refried beans then, but they were ones I made at home. I noticed I like the taste of the vegetarian refriend beans better. I didnt have too much cheese and added Taco Bell mild sauce to mine. If I remember right 2 bites (baby spoons) and I was satisfied.  Do you have a NUT that you are working with? 

Catsi51
on 7/17/15 10:35 am

I am still in the pre-op phase so can't honestly say whether I'll allow or avoid such situations once I've had my surgery. However, I DO know my body and my weaknesses, and I have a very hard time stopping once I allow certain foods into my body. So my PLAN is to stay away from those triggers 100% for, yes - the rest of my life. It seems worth it to me to give up certain things in order to gain what I know I will after surgery, if I work the program to the best of my ability. For me it's like being an alcoholic or drug addict. When they stop, they have to STOP 100% for the rest of their lives too - they can't look at it like "I'll just have a drink or shoot up once in awhile and I'll still be OK". I know this is not the case for everyone - so truly, it does depend on the person involved - but for me - first of all I hope and pray I DO have intolerances to the foods that trigger me to binge, and secondly I pray that if I don't have issues and am able to eat anything, that I'll have the strength and fortitude to stay away from those things that spell trouble for me, for good! 

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Grim_Traveller
on 7/17/15 11:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I wouldn't have a hard taco shell at 8 weeks. It could really be uncomfortable. 

While I was losing, I didn't eat anything unless it was nutritionally dense. A good rule of thumb is ten calories for each gram of protein. So 400 calories would need 40 grams of protein. I think it's important to be really strict and get the weight off as fast as you can. It gets much harder later on.

I have never cheated. Do I have less nutritious things now? Absolutely. But I plan around them now, and work the calories into my budget. I consider cheating to be eating stuff unplanned that I would beat myself up for afterward.

It sounds like you are beating yourself up BEFORE eating the taco. That's usually a sign you shouldn't do it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

boxtop2006
on 7/17/15 2:12 pm
RNY on 03/24/15

Thanks Grim!  I didn't know that but it's really good info to have...  Hope you have a wonderful weekend..

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

tnysgrl27
on 7/20/15 1:51 pm

Great advice!!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 13 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views