Impatient

MelodyMay
on 6/26/15 8:41 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

I am only in the 1st month of my 6 month insurance required time and I am crawling up the walls. I have started to check off my list of Dr.s appointments and have started to change my diet, but I swear this is all moving at a snails pace. I keep going over how I need to re-organize my kitchen, what Dr.'s appt is next and I can't help myself from stopping every time I walk past a mirror and trying to imagine what I am going to look like when this is all over. I know I need to be patient but I have feel fat my whole life. In 6th Grade I was already a size 12. I don't remember being able to buy clothes in a normal store.

I just want my life to finally start, ya know? I feel like I have finally found my soul mate, I get to be a pseudo stepmother until we're married, I have a great job that pays me pretty well...the only thing I am missing is feeling at home in my own body. But all good things come to those who wait, right? The pacing and nail biting will all pay off in the end..

LynnAlex
on 6/27/15 12:08 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I hear you, I am in the same spot.  Waiting for my life to start. It seems like I go to the doctor everyday.  I get weekly allergy shots, my regular doctor wants me to go to diabetic classes which entails going to a NUT and a diabetic nurse plus 24 hours of classroom.  THAT is in addition to all the required labs and consults with psychology, exercise, NUT, and surgical, doctor and classes that the WLS requires.  I don't have time to exercise.  But we will get there, yes we will.

Doingrightin2015
on 6/27/15 4:47 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I was right there with you not that long ago! I started my journey with this back in Sept of 2014. It took me a month or so prior to pick up that phone and make that appointment to change my life. I too had a 6 month insurance required time. I went to my doc appointment every 4 weeks to be seen and meet with my NUT. I just wanted to get on with the show. I tried to focus on just those 4 weeks at a time, and then would mark it off 5,4,3,2,1 more to go before we can submit for approval. Guess what it happened. I had my surgery 3/10 and happy to say I am now coming close to being 4 months on the other side.

Hang in there you will get to the other side and be looking back too!!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Kathyjs
on 6/27/15 5:27 am

12 years later I still remember those horrid six months. Please take my advice and start to mentally get yourself ready. Find out why you became obese and get help now. Start tracking food. I didn't do any 2 week pre op diet , I started physically and mentally at 6 months and 12 years, almost 13 I am a bit below goal. Best wishes 

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/15 6:05 am

I remember being so impatient also. I tried to make lists of things I was going to do after my surgery. Try to look towards the future beiing healthy.

I know 6 months seems to be forever. But it will pass by pretty fast. Try to start now practicing not drinking with meals and other good habits. 

I also went through my kitchen and cleaned it out. I bought new measuring cups and other kitchen gadgets that I needed. 

Best wishes. Congratulations on finding your soul mate. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/15 10:35 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I was the exact same way! Happily married, good job, just impatient to get on the path to health. I was particularly impatient because my insurance had a 2-year waiting period before I could even start the 6 months of weight management visits. I tackled my impatience by diving head-first into getting myself as healthy as I could before surgery. I started logging everything in MFP, prioritizing protein and veggies, and getting as active as I could. I lost 80 lbs by the date of my surgery, which my surgeon credits for both how easy my surgery was for him to perform (my surgery BMI was 36, down from 50) and how smooth my recovery was.

So my advice would be, if you're too impatient to wait to start getting healthier, don't wait! Do everything you can pre-op, and use the knowledge that you'll soon have another tool in your belt as motivation to start making the life changes that you'll need after surgery. It will make your life a lot easier after surgery too to have already gotten your head in the game.

mariapizarro8
on 6/27/15 11:03 am

I just finished my NUT appointment on June 15th and Finally got my approval date on June 22,going to surgery on August 11th.Have been doing all the preparations since December 2014 and finally it will all pay off.Hang in there it will be over before you know it.

karin602
on 6/27/15 1:04 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I know six months seems like a long time but I found it to be beneficial. Actually it took me longer because of waiting for appointments sometimes had to wait for more than a month to get some. But I learned a lot during that time and made changes. Lost 55 pounds as well before surgery. My Nut classes were in a group with all of us comparing what month we were in. Each monthly class began with a weigh in. If you gained two months they made you go into a medically supervised program and after you completed that you could start the process all over again. I lost every month! Even after going on vacation using what I was learning. Now at goal I continue monitoring everything and have developed a much better relationship with food. So try to be patient and put the time to your advantage. 

Karin

MelodyMay
on 6/28/15 3:27 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

Thank you for all of the advice. I really should start acting like I am prepping for the surgery now. No more sugar. Good fats only. More exercise and drinking more water. I can change my life today, I don't need to wait for the surgery. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/15 10:41 am

I have to say one of the hardest things for me was to not drink and eat at the same time. I think this one is a good habit to start. You will do great. 

Most Active
Recent Topics