Gas all the time, Help

browneyes65
on 6/14/15 10:09 pm - IN

I'm 17 months out and still to this day I have gas 24-7. I have tried and tried to figure this out. I have no cramps no diarrhea, just gas and sometimes bubble sounds in stomach. I know it's not dairy because I have tried that theory. I drink water, unsweetened tea no sugar substitute, caffeine free coffee once in a while. I eat yogurt with little protein granola, not everyday just to test to see if it would make difference, did not. 3 Turkey sausage links 1 egg, piece ham wrapped in cheese, checked cheese to, no difference with or without, 1 filet mignon . I try to watch what I eat just because of the problem I have. I might just not eat for couple days and just drink liquids, maybe water or unsweetened tea. This is driving me crazy because since I always have it i can't pinpoint what is giving it to me. All I get is gas, no cramps. I'm thinking water should be fine I don't think that would give me gas. I have protein drinks, but have not been drinking them but will if I don't eat. Any ideas ?

SkinnyScientist
on 6/14/15 11:05 pm

When you say gas...do you mean burping or flatulence?

I get more flatulence... someone previously mentioned it is pretty common post op

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

browneyes65
on 6/14/15 11:22 pm - IN

Flatulence, it's been 17 months will it get any better? I have a husband and there has not been any activity if you know what I mean. I just wish I knew the cause.

MickeyDee
on 6/15/15 12:30 am

You might want to make sure your bowels are being emptied completely and often;  if the smell is bad use Devrom (a fecal deodorant available online) or maybe Beano to eliminate gas production.

I find that a salad of romaine lettuce and my favorite fresh salad stuff with a good vinaigrette dressing is often a good way to keep things moving.

browneyes65
on 6/15/15 8:33 am - IN

I go to the bathroom quite often and bowls are moving along. Not bad smelling just not controlled gas. Beano does not work or the others I have tried.

White Dove
on 6/15/15 1:28 am - Warren, OH

Are you using chewable vitamins?   They can do that to you.  Take vitamins with no sugar alcohols.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

browneyes65
on 6/15/15 8:30 am - IN

Don't take chewable vitamins. I will check others but I just take Calcium Citrate, B1, B12, D3, Multi and Iron.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/15/15 4:03 am

Having gas is normal. But too much gas, or smelly gas is a problem. 

As others said, you may be really constipated. I am talking from experiance.  I used to have BM every day, yet cat scan showed I was "full of it".  The gas was  horrible. 

I now take Miralx, and I know if my guts are start getting full. When that happens, I try to eat really light for 2-3 days and really get clean (more Miralax). 

I also noticed that any SA -even little bit in SF gums, or chewable vitamins, give me gas for 1-2 days. 

Any food that it's gas forming (veggies, grains) can affect me for 1-2 days. Yes - 2 days. To control gas I stay away from raw veggies, fruits, beans, grains, starches. 

I eat mea, fish, eggs, cooked veggies, pickles, nuts (only some). 

I avoid high FODMAP foods (Google that), because they would cause me to have too much gas (and pain from gas). 

My diet is rather restricted, but the freedom of not having the horrible cloud of stench, and not gas pains (i deal worth IBS)  is worth the effort. 

I

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

browneyes65
on 6/15/15 8:24 am - IN

I never get rid if gas so I can tell what is giving it to me, I have 2 bowel movements a day and take Miralax to, but not everyday. No gas pain but hear bubbly sounds at times.

Poodlemac
on 6/15/15 5:03 am
RNY on 09/26/14

When I was waiting for the doctor the other day, I was flipping thru the chart with all the surgical information.  Apparently gas is a very common side effect from RNY. I had never heard that before- at least not that I remember. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 200 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 256 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views