Gained 10 lbs

lumina99
on 6/15/15 9:08 am - ME

It`s been a little over two years since my Gastric bypass. I`ve gained 10 lbs in maybe 7 mos. My question is-can I do my protein shakes for a little while to get back on track? If so, how long and how many per day?

Any other advice would be very helpful! Thank you.

Laura A.

NYMom222
on 6/15/15 9:24 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I know surgeon recommendations are different, but my surgeon has us drinking one protein shake everyday while we are losing weight. I know some of the people in maintenance still continue to do so. It works for me as my breakfast. I try to have 16oz of another fluid first, whether it is coffee, tea, or water and then I make my shake at least 16oz with the water, ice or milk I add. That way I have a good start on my day both in Protein and fluids. I also make sure the total protein in the shake(powder, milk, whatever I use) is 30g. The Premier Protein (Walmart, Costco, BJs, Sams) has 30g, is ready to drink and is great for when you are rushing out the door...

Remember 60-80 protein minimum

64oz fluid minimum

be active, move your body, exercise  30+ minutes most days

Don't drink with meals and for 30 minutes after

You can get back on track, and kudos for jumping back in at 10lbs not 20 or 50... Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

boxtop2006
on 6/15/15 10:47 am
RNY on 03/24/15

I don't know much but what I have read since I'm not even 3months out yet but for what it's worth, I agree with everything NYMom said but would add to log everything you eat/drink and exercise in MyFitnessPal or some other tracking system.  This just helps you to be honest with yourself and keeps you on track.  I also drink at least 1 protein shake a day, always for breakfast but sometimes if I notice I don't have enough in for the day (ie. I had a salad with no/little meat = no/low protein) I will have another one for snack.  I do the premier protein shakes they have 30 grams of protein, 160 calories, 1 gram sugar, 4 - 5 grams of carbs depending on flavor.  Good Luck!

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

JB1114
on 6/15/15 10:53 am - Grain Valley, MO

Now's the time to get a grip on the weight gain.  I'll be 7 years out next month and I've regained about 12 lbs.  My surgeon told me to have 2 protein drinks a day for the rest of my life.  I try for 80-100 grams of protein daily.  I usually have a protein shake for breakfast and maybe another one later in the day.  Sometimes I add a scoop of protein powder to water and a packet of Crystal Lite and sip on that.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

lumina99
on 6/15/15 10:55 am - ME

Do you mean you need more protein? Or just to fill up on shakes mostly than foods?

Laura A.

JB1114
on 6/15/15 11:01 am - Grain Valley, MO

He said I would need the protein shakes because I wouldn't be able to eat enough to get in 80-100 grams of protein daily. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Kathyjs
on 6/15/15 11:01 am

If it was me....I wouldn't do the shakes. Take a look at what you are eating. I gained 6 this past year and it was darn candy. Log your food for a few days. Cut down on your portions and up the exercise. You can so do this !! I lost 10!in about 6 weeks

karenp8
on 6/15/15 11:41 am - Brighton, IL

I agree with Kathy. At this stage of the game,the shakes will not leave you feeling full for long. Measuring and tracking your food is the key. I eat no more than one cup of food for each of my three meals. I usually eat 31/2 to 4 oz of a dense protein like beef,pork,of seafood and half a cup of a non starchy veggie like broccoli or cauliflower. Eliminate white carbs like bread,rice,pasta and potatoes too. I also track the calories and grams of protein that I eat everyday too. Many use my fitness pal but I just record mine in a journal. Also make sure you are not drinking for at least thirty minutes after you eat to help you stay full longer. You can do this just like you did before. Let us know how it's going too!

mrs_smith_canada
on 6/15/15 1:16 pm

Same boat my friend only worse! I've gained 15 pounds in 10 months. Great that you have caught it before it get's out of hand! 

I have been on what I thought was the new battle for the last month with no results (eating what I thought was enough to balance the scales in the right direction) but I gave up wine and gained another 3 pounds. 

I have dropped my calorie intake to 1200 (high 40% protein goal) and continuing my fitness. See my profile for my other tools that I am going to use to get this weight off. 

Good luck! 

p.s. do youre measurements too 

07-01-2011 SW 311 LBS

WEIGHT LOSS PRE-SURGERY 37 LBS

SURGERY DATE 10-06-2011 274 LBS 

GOAL WEIGHT 145 

CW 143 

The Salty Hag
on 6/16/15 5:19 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I'm also two years out, and also have had a regain. I was up 13 lbs from my lowest ( goal ) weight. 

I cut out the crap foods I'd let back in, I started logging my food into MFP again, I've made sure to eat proper portions. I'm eating meats, eggs, Greek yogurt, cheese, the occasional serving of almonds or pistachios, and non-starchy veggies. I'm making sure to get in at least 80 oz of fluids per day.  I'm down 5 lbs. as of this morning. 

IMO you can get back on track without protein shakes, but if you feel you need one, I wouldn't have more than one per day. If you go the shake route, make sure you get one made from good quality whey protein isolate, and look for one with a lower carb count and no sugar added. That being said, concentrating on eating lean, dense proteins will keep you feeling full for a longer amount of time.

Good luck! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 93 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??