Slightly OT: Downtime after gall bladder surgery and other questions?

aesposito
on 4/27/15 8:33 am

Gall bladder is finally coming out May 18.  Laparoscopic outpatient, unless they find something hinky in there.

My question: if you have had it out, what was your downtime after gall bladder surgery?  I purposefully scheduled it for after the end of my semester so work isn't an issue, but my SO is wondering how long he should stick around to help me out and fend off my teenagers.

Also, anyone have to go open instead of laparoscopic mid-surgery due to complications from post-RNY anatomy crazy-ness after they went in there?  My doc says every so often it happens...

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

rocky513
on 4/27/15 8:52 am - WI

I had my gall bladder out 3 days before my daughter's graduation party (emergency).  I cleaned my whole house and then, the day after the party, we left for vacation.  I felt great!  I was a little sore around the incisions, but not enough to slow me down.  Everyone is different.  I'm sure you will get responses that are very different from mine.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/27/15 10:04 am - OH

Mine was laparoscopic BUT with one incision that was a little more than 1.5 inches long because he had trouble getting through the mesh that was used for a hernia repair.  That incision was sore significantly longer that the rest of them, but even that hurt mostly when I bent over or when I was getting up from sitting or sleeping. I was doing everything for myself the day I came home after surgery (the day after... I stayed overnight in the hospital).  I was just very tired for about a week. Easiest surgery ever.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ShebasMom
on 4/27/15 10:53 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I had my gall bladder removed 10 months after rny.  My recovery was much better than rny, but I took 3 weeks of time off from work, when 2 would have been enough, lol.  My hubby was only off 2 days of work to help me.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

selhard
on 4/27/15 11:49 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Mine was taken out 20 years before WLS...the start of a long list of MO-related surgeries.  I was in the hospital about a week, first to clear up an infected gallbladder, then a lengthy surgery to cut the gallbladder out along with part of my liver it had adhered to, then a couple days laying in a hospital bed with a drain tube. I needed two full weeks of recovery time. If your SO is a man, my experience is they are great help the first day, pretty good help the next day, and then you. are. on. your. own! 

aesposito
on 4/27/15 12:06 pm

Sounds like from what you guys are telling me, it shouldn't be too bad as long as it stays laparoscopic.  I was back to work a week after my RNY, so I figured just a day or two of recovery from a "simple" gall bladder... but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't expecting too much of myself or the boyfriend :)

Thanks everyone!

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

lynnc99
on 4/27/15 12:45 pm

Yep, my laparoscopic gall bladder surgery had me in and out of the hospital within 36 hours, and back to work after a long weekend. (Fortunately it happened in July before my semester began!)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/27/15 1:27 pm

I had my gallbladder out two months after RNY. I was sore but okay. I took four days off work. I was tired from two sureries close togetber, too, I think.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
Recent Topics