Am I going to feel any worse than a natural child birth? ;-)

TheBee
on 4/19/15 1:42 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

Surgery is tomorrow, I've done every single step as instructed.  My only real concern at this point is that I currently live alone and I don't want to feel quite like a Mack truck hit me.  My thought process was that I NEEDED movement, so didn't accept any offers of someone staying with me.  Did anyone literally feel like they could not get up and walk to the bathroom or kitchen?

Ladytazz
on 4/19/15 2:00 pm

Are you having your surgery open or lap?

I had an open revision and I was in bad shape for a while.  My then 15 year old was supposed to be helping but her idea of help was not expecting me to cook her dinner for a few days.

I tend to like to be alone after surgery and I've had a few and never really needed any special help.  It really depends on a lot of things, how well you do and how independent you are being a few.

You may want to line up some help for a few days and if it turns out you don't need it you can always send them home.

Better to have help and not need it then need help and not have it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

TheBee
on 4/19/15 2:23 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

It's laparoscopically and I'm just afraid with someone here I actually won't rest as much as I need to.  I'm also somewhat concerned about all the gas exiting my body and would rather have my space to myself! lol

lynnc99
on 4/19/15 2:10 pm

If you have a laparoscopic procedure you should be fine. Bear in mind, though, that you can't drive while on pain medication so you will need someone to pick up a prescription for you. I also got some children's tylenol melt aways that first post op stop at the drugstore. 

But I've had natural childbirth and honestly? This isn't the same at all. I felt pretty decent within a few days and was able to move around the house without difficulty. Plan on naps, sipping, walking, breathing, and being gentle with yourself as much as you can!

TheBee
on 4/19/15 2:21 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

Oh thank you!!  I know no two cases are identical but I was hoping to hear just what you said!  And yes, mine is laparoscopic. Did you use the children's tylenol in lieu of stronger pain meds, or in addition to? 

lynnc99
on 4/20/15 12:57 am

I only needed the pain meds for about 18 hours after getting by home. The children's tylenol was what my dr recommended but be sure to read the dosage and calculate the correct mg for an adult. It takes quite a few melt always to get a full adult dosage! Best of luck to you! 

caliannie
on 4/20/15 2:27 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I had laparoscopic RNY on 4/14/15. The gas was the most painful. I had filled my prescription for pain meds for after surgery but didn't need them. Since I was having trouble with the gas I didn't need something else slowing everything down. The nurse in the office also recommended Gas-X. That really helped.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Missmandy24
on 4/19/15 9:32 pm

Good luck to you today!! I am heading over to the hospital now to get checked in. I am the first surgery of the day (and act silly happy about it.) See you on the losers bench

Eddiesgirl08
on 4/20/15 12:16 am - Warrensburg, MO

Good luck!  We are all so close on dates mine is tomorrow!  

auntmimi
on 4/20/15 3:14 am

From my experience-Walk, walk and walk. My dr. even said I was a "tough cookie" cause I was bugging the nurses within a few hours, so I could get up and move ( I dont think I've really stopped since). It helped a lot with the excess gas and pain. Good luck to you!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 1 replies · 10 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views