3 weeks out, how much should I be able to consume at once?

Kaydensmomma10
on 4/14/15 12:45 pm - Columbus, OH

hi im 3 weeks out tomorrow and was curious how much I should be consuming at once? Today I had 4oz of Greek yogurt, then I had about a 3rd of Wendi's small chilli. Is that too much?? How much calories do/did you consume at 3 weeks out? Also I don't typically experience the full feeling 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/15 1:01 pm - OH

Did you not get guidelines on how much to eat?  There is a lot of variation from one surgeon to another.  Yogurt is a definite slider food and, because of the water content, Wendy's chili tends to be as well, so you will be able to eat much more of those things than more solid foods. Four ounces of yogurt is a very typical amount, and the amount of chili is probably ok as well.  

My surgeon, like many, did not have us track calories, and if your surgeon wanted you to focus on that, (s)he should have given you some guidelines to follow.

Many people don't feel full for many weeks.  The standard reason given here is that some of your nerves were cut during the surgery so you cannot feel full until those nerves heal. I felt full from the very beginning, though, so that answer leaves me less than fully convinced.  Just know that it happens to most people, and that it is the reason that it is important to measure your meals.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kaydensmomma10
on 4/15/15 12:22 am - Columbus, OH

Thank you! They say to eat between 2-3 oz at each meal. I just felt like I was able to eat too much for only being 3 weeks out. Paranoia I guess lol. What do you mean by slider food? 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/15 2:26 am - OH

Slider foods are, generally, exactly what they sound like... Foods  that are slippery and can slide right out of the pouch. Things like yogurt, applesauce, cottage cheese, or even vegetabkes with a high water content like green beans.

Imagine what would happen if you put yogurt in a funnel... The yogurt would slide through the funnel in a very short period of time.  now think about putting some ground up, cooked chicken (plus a little water to simulate yoru saliva) in a funnel.  It is eventually going to go through, but it will take much longer.

It can also refer to foods like crackers that are very solid and have no water content but chew up to next to nothing, and therefore also easily slide through.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mornings
on 4/14/15 5:44 pm - Canada

wow I would honestly be worried to eat wendys chilli  I was told its like 270 calories ,  not sure if that's  accurate but  I  would speak to your nurse to see if  they had guildlines to help in what is safe to eat or not ,    I wish you the best  as my surgery is not till may 26th

Kaydensmomma10
on 4/15/15 12:23 am - Columbus, OH

My nutritionist said the Wendi's chilli is a good option. A small chilli is 170 calories, but I only ate a 3rd of it

Grim_Traveller
on 4/15/15 7:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Wendy's chili is very popular post-op.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

christinerocks
on 4/14/15 7:38 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Please note, I am 9 days out from surgery so this isn't personal experience - but it is straight from my surgery program nutrition guidelines.  Every program and surgeon differs, it seems, so please keep that in mind.

Months 1-3: 1/4cup or 2oz volume per meal 

Months 4-8: 1/2 cup or 4oz volume per meal

Months 8-12: 1 cup or 8oz volume per meal

These are approximate portion sizes.  always listen to your body and stop eating when you are satisfied.

I hope this input is of some help to you. 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

lynnc99
on 4/14/15 10:30 pm

This is very similar to what I was given. I actually took a 1/2 cup measuring cup with me in my purse - not to make a public display of measuring, but to eyeball portions if I was in a restaurant. It worked!

And yes, to the original poster, you won't feel full for a good while so measuring is important - more so than counting calories by far. I counted ounces of water, protein grams, and sugar content of any prepared foods....but only in the last couple of months have I counted calories and I am coming up on 6 years out!

Grim_Traveller
on 4/14/15 8:39 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On April 14, 2015 at 7:45 PM Pacific Time, Kaydensmomma10 wrote:

hi im 3 weeks out tomorrow and was curious how much I should be consuming at once? Today I had 4oz of Greek yogurt, then I had about a 3rd of Wendi's small chilli. Is that too much?? How much calories do/did you consume at 3 weeks out? Also I don't typically experience the full feeling 

Did you have the yogurt and chili in the same meal? One or the other might be ok, but not both at once.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics