Please, HELP! Joint pain is killing me!!

myspanisheyes
on 3/18/15 3:44 am - TX

I had RNY Dec.2010. I know I can't take NSAID's! Does anybody out there know what I can take to ease my joint pain. I have been taking Tylenol every 4 hours. I am desperate!  

jazzycatz
on 3/18/15 4:10 am - Joppa, MD

It's tough. I have arthritis in both knees. Trying to hold off on getting a knee replacment right now. I hope to make it to 50 before I just have to go for it.

I had to have a script for Tramadol. It is pretty popular amongst post op for pain control in lieu of NSAID's.

Kathy S.
on 3/18/15 4:26 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Is  your PCP knowledgeable of your surgery?  If not, try contacting your surgeon.  Ask about what meds you may be able to take.  Also if they know of any doctor's that specialize in arthritis that work with WLS patients.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Navychic
on 3/18/15 4:47 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I used to take Glucosamin MSM when my joint were acting up.  Its just vitamin, but it made my knees feel sooooo much better.  You may have to check with your dr though, not sure if its contraindicated now.

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

myspanisheyes
on 3/18/15 5:21 am - TX

Thank you so much for your response to my desperate call! Tramadol doesn't phase the pain at all. I have an appointment for next Tuesday to see the Rheumatologist as a knew patient. This appointment has taken 3 months to get. My sister was diagnosed with RA. My PCP has checked for it twice. It took my sister three tries before she tested positive for RA....It was a huge flare up. 

Thanks again,

Rosemary

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/18/15 7:24 am

That only things that really help me are narcotics. I deal with sciatica and some spine issues ... if that gets really bad - massages, plus acupuncture + some narco with tylenol.. Even a small dose helps with blocking the pain so it will not get worse. 

I also discover that SIBO (google that) can cause inflammation in  the body and even lead to fibromyalgia. 

post op RNY we are prone to SIBO.  

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=18486

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

seattledeb
on 3/18/15 2:28 pm

I like acupuncture as well. Being a western medicine girl I was very doubting but I was wrong.

Deb T/

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/18/15 8:51 am - OH

Don't underestimate the effectiveness of icing your joints in addition to pain meds.  Before I had my knees replaced, I was on Tramadol or Vicodin, depending on pain level, and was icing them most evenings.  The icing really does help the inflammation (in the knees at least).  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/18/15 7:36 pm

What she said. I had been running 9 miles a day, 3 times a wee****IL knee joint pain stopped me.  A friend suggested icing it for 20 minutes after my workout and I didnt get the stiffness and pain I typically experienced!  I am back to running 9 miles again!

Disney half marathon...here I come!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

helionoftroy
on 3/18/15 10:38 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

I would try Prohora fire and ice. It's worked for me and has no NSAIDS or narcotics.

Most Active