VSG to RNY revision surgery

gypsyqueen80
on 3/3/15 10:35 pm

Hi all, I had vsg surgery November of 2011.  I lost 120 lbs. and have gained 60 lbs. back.  I have been working out & trying to eat clean 80% of the time with no weight loss results.  I now am looking into being revised to RNY.  I have heard that I should be revised to the DS because I already have the first part multiple times but I just feel in my gut I would benefit from the RNY.  I wanted to see if anyone who has had this procedure done could let me know how your experience was.  Thanks!

carimiller9173
on 3/4/15 1:22 am - Wilmington, DE

Hi.  I had VSG on 2-2-12; lost 50-55 lbs then stopped losing all together.  Regardless of what I ate, drank, how hard I exercised.....Had RNY 1/26/15 and I feel as though I am losing slowly, but it's a loss.  (It's about 2.5-3.5 a week) which is awesome, just seems very slow compared to some others who have major losses their first month.  I wish I had done RNY when I did my VSG.  This time I feel more in control and know that I will hit my goal.  Hope this info helps!!

Cari

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

bublegirl1
on 3/4/15 2:33 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I had vsg in September of 2010. Lost 78 lbs and gained 40 back. Maintained that for over two years. Just revised to RNY in November and I've lost 39 lb in almost 4 months. Not too bad. I too feel more in control. Idk maybe this second time around I know what not to do and recognize my sabotaging habits. But I feel confident this will get me to goal. My first goal was to pass my lowest skeeve weight. Did that yesterday. Now on to 199. I haven't been under 200 since grade school! So  very excited! I'm at 209 right now. Good luck with your decision! DS wasn't for me after researching everything. Just didn't feel right about it. Everyone is different. :)

-Amie

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/15 7:13 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Hi Amie, this is a little off-topic, but can I ask why you decided against DS? I was planning VSG for awhile but my doc recommended RNY because of my GERD and DMII. But I was wondering, if I'm going to have a malabsorptive procedure, why not consider the one with the best track record for weight loss? That said, it's not really an option because of my insurance, but I might feel better with RNY at least knowing why you decided against DS.    Thanks in advance!

bublegirl1
on 3/4/15 7:56 am
RNY on 11/10/14

Well the malabsorption is a lot more with the DS. Although the caloric malabsorption declines over time as opposed to the DS, after reading dsfacts.com it seemed like the upkeep with vitamins was a lot more and a higher occurrence of chronic diarrhea. The amount of protein one has to eat a day is very high. Higher than I was told wirh RNY. Since the caloric malabsorption lasts forver with DS you always have to make sure you get in enough calories and protein to stay alive basically. A woman at my kids school had it done. She is bone thin. Seems she can't eat enough to even look healthy. 

So for me the risks were too high tban what I wanted to gamble basically. Obviously there is high upkeep with RNY as well but doesn't seem to be as bad as the DS. Just my opinion. Good luck to you!!

-Amie

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/15 10:31 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thank you for helping me feel better! I asked the NP at my doc's clinic this afternoon too, and she said very similar things (a lot more difficult procedure, a lifetime of heightened medical risks, about 5 soft stools a day).

bublegirl1
on 3/4/15 8:04 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Im glad you feel better. I'm sure you will do great!

-Amie

gypsyqueen80
on 3/4/15 12:03 pm

Thank you for your posts. It's a relief to hear others had the same revision and are doing good. Was the recovery from your revision similar to the vsg?

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 70 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 295 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views