I need help

floatinghearts1
on 1/13/15 1:00 am - Fresno, CA

I had RNY surgery about 4 years ago. I've had a really hard time over the past few years with eating. It's not a problem with eating good or bad things for me, it's just that I don't want to eat at all. It doesn't hurt to eat when I eat healthy foods. I have to pretty much force myself to eat anything. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm starting to worry about how easy it is for me to go long periods of time without eating.

MyLady Heidi
on 1/13/15 1:16 am

Is it a problem?  Are you underweight?  I don't eat during the day, it is part of my personal plan.  I am nearly 10 years out and eating during the day just makes me want to eat more.  I drink lemon/water/ice tea all day long and start eating at dinner during the week and on weekends eat two meals.  It has kept me at goal and without RH for a long time. Eating is my problem since I have RH, the second I start to eat the wrong thing the day is doomed.

floatinghearts1
on 1/13/15 1:30 am - Fresno, CA

I wouldn't say I'm underweight, I'm 5'8" and about 145 pounds as of today, but friends and family have often expressed worry about my weightloss lately as I got down to about 160 and maintained that for a while, but then over the last few months lost another 15. My mom had rny about 15 years ago and has regained most of her weight, which I've read is common, but I haven't heard of what I'm experiencing.

Gwen M.
on 1/13/15 4:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

According to BMI charts, you're not underweight.  Have your doctors expressed concern?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

siberiancat
on 1/13/15 3:24 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I have many days where I just have liquid protein because I'm not hungry, I'm nauseated or have abdominal pain.  I do make sure I get 80-100 grams of protein.  Some days my pouch just doesn't like solid food.  If I get nausea, bloated or abdominal pain after solid food, I usually have liquid protein for the next meal.  I make sure to get in all my supplements and protein requirements NO MATTER WHAT.

I disregard what others say about my size.  I'm over 5 yrs post RNY and I have people tell me not to lose any more weight or tell me I'm too skinny.  I'm at my goal weight and within normal BMI for my height.  They just are used to me being morbidly obese.  I could lose more weight and still be fine.

I, also, have Reactive Hypoglycemia so the liquid protein supplements are helpful.  I have to eat carbs with protein and fat to keep my blood sugar normal.  I am not now or ever have been diabetic.  The RH "appeared" about 3 years ago.

I would discuss your issue with nutritionist.  I don't know your history, but if food addiction issues are in your past, then  you may want to discuss with a counselor.  It is a problem if you aren't meeting your protein requirements.  Are  your blood levels normal?

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/13/15 4:28 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Hi Penny - I am curious if you've done extensive testing regarding your nausea and abdominal pain?  CTscan, endoscope, barium sollow?  I have experienced these same syptoms periodically and have been diagnosed with a possible Pertersen's space hernia and will have exploratory surgery in a few weeks to see if that is in fact the problem.  Just throwing it out there...  Hope it isn't serious in your case - Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

White Dove
on 1/13/15 5:19 am - Warren, OH

Going too long without food and only protein shakes can cause constipation for me.  If I do that I take a fiber supplement.  But if I don't feel like eating, then I don't.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

teri0021
on 1/13/15 6:09 am - Arvada, CO
RNY on 08/25/14

Hello!  I had RNY on 8-25-14 and have had trouble eating ever since.  I find things taste horrible and I am in general, not ever hungry.  I force myself to eat dense proteins but find that I gag when chewing.  I had my vitamin levels drawn 3 weeks ago and found that I am extremely anemic and lacking in B1.  My doctor said the taste bud aversion could be due to that.  Low and behold I'm gaining my taste buds back the longer I take the supplements.  Just a thought!  Hang in there!!!!

MickeyDee
on 1/13/15 11:31 am

It's not uncommon to not feel "hunger".  I don't usually.  I do try to eat on a schedule or else I get the jitters, which I've found are the precursor to an RH episode.

It's an individual journey for each of us.  Just make sure you're getting your necessary nutrition and supplements.  That's why I do the yearly blood checks.

Ladytazz
on 1/13/15 2:12 pm

Obviously you are eating because you aren't wasting away.  It just sounds like food has lost it's importance to you.  Sometimes it's almost like if I can't eat whatever I want, whenever I want, in whatever amounts I want then why bother.

Unless your weight continues to drop and you get dangerously underweight I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.  It just sounds like your relationship with food and eating has changed and you aren't really sure where you are with it.

I can go all day without eating if I get busy or absorbed in something.  One day I forgot my lunch at home and there was nothing at all for me to eat at work and I went over 8 hours and it didn't phase me at all.  I don't eat because I am hungry.  I eat because I know I need to and I plan my meals and eat them on the schedule I've had for a while.

It's like taking medicine.  No one takes it because they want to, they take it because they know they need it to get better.  If I only ate when I was hungry I wouldn't eat much at all.  But when I was morbidly obese I didn't eat because I was hungry, either.  I never went long enough without food to experience true hunger.  For me food and eating has little to do with appetite and far more to do with filling some deep emotional needs that never could be filled with food.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views