Almost lost my life

Helenation
on 12/6/14 3:41 am

Two weeks ago I had RNY, next day I was ver sick and they determined after several texts that I had a leakage, which for into 

my blood stream and a was septic, my blood pressure dropped , my kidneys shot and I had to go for a four hour secon surgery to clean me up inside and restich. After that I've been in like 10 different antibiotics. In pain , tgey had to so two smaller procedures to extract some fluid let in my abdomen, the surgeon td ma husband before entering to so the second surgery to prepare for the worst that tus was an extreme complicated and dangerous situation , I was in ICU for a week, after that to the regular room, a week after when thing normalized more which was a day before yesterday , they sent me home still with IV, and here I am, the doctor thinks I will recuperate little by little, I still have surgery tube and a feeding tube in that should come out on Monday, I'm trying to be optimistic , from all the fluids they have given me, specially to recharge my kidneys I gained 35 lbs in this 2 weeks in the hospital, now from going to the bathroom all the time at home injectors tge 35 Lbs, but I still feel m abdomen swollen, seems from more fluids or gas or both, and that area it's still uncomfortable and sore, has anyone gone thru anThing similar ? Or dies an one know how long could it take for that abdomen bloatiness last? When will it get better? Thank so much for reading and in advance for helping , Helen

poet_kelly
on 12/6/14 5:29 am - OH

I'm so sorry you had such a bad complication.  I hope you start feeling better soon.  It could take a couple weeks to lose all that excess fluid, I would think.  And if you're still on an IV, it may take long.  I wouldn't worry about the extra 35 lbs right now.  That will come off, and more.  Worry about healing and recovering.

A heating pad might help on your abdomen.  If there's a lot of gas in there, walking usually helps a lot, if you are able to walk around the house.  Rocking in a rocking chair might also help move some of the gas.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Helenation
on 12/6/14 6:55 am

Thank you so much, if it's about two weeks, then it makes sense that I sti have it and I'll be patient, I do walk around the house, and will try the heating pad , than you for your well wishes and thank you for answering.

poet_kelly
on 12/6/14 6:57 am - OH

I would just stay off the scale for a couple weeks. 

A few weeks after my RNY, I developed a very severe case of pneumonia and ended up in the hospital for three weeks.  I gained a ton of weight from the IV fluids and they were weighing me every couple days and it was kinda stressing me out that I was gaining weight after I'd started losing right after my surgery.  Then I realized it was from all the IV fluids and just started not even looking at the number on the scale.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Helenation
on 12/6/14 8:06 pm

Thank you Kelly, I'm sorry about your complication, and I'm glad you're ok, I'll try to stay away from the scale and concentrate to just get better

lucky2brh-yahoo.com
on 12/6/14 10:03 am - Wilmington, NC
RNY on 07/01/14

Helenation, I too, am SO SORRY that your journey has had a really rough start.  I know you must read a lot of posts  on here that seem like its a breeze....and for a chosen few, it is.  PLEASE listen closely to all of the posts especially from vets, it will be SOOOOO Very worth it in a little while.  When you get all over this initial mess, you will be nothing short of delighted and grateful that you stuck it out.  When you slip into size 14 or 12 regular jeans, it will all melt away like childbirth does!!  Trust me, and keep us posted on your recovery...prayers to you....   :D

Helenation
on 12/6/14 10:06 pm

Thank you, I want to believe this, and that all be worth it later , I'll try to stay positive and thank you for your well wishes

OldTimeNESter
on 12/6/14 10:14 am

I'm sorry you had such a serious complication.  I agree with the other posters: the IV fluids will cause weight gain, and it will take a few weeks for you to get rid of the "water weight."  I didn't have quite as bad an experience as you did, but I did end up in the hospital for a week after the blood thinners caused a lot of internal bleeding (my hemoglobin count should be 15; it was 6).  They wouldn't let me have anything by mouth, and they kept pumping IV bag after bag of fluid into me.  I was released on Thursday, and I'm still really bloated.

I believe things will get better for you, but it will take some time.  Hang in there.

David

Helenation
on 12/6/14 10:10 pm

I'm sorry David, what was the cause of tha internal bleeding? That's scary, I'm glad you're ok now, and I'll be patient with the bloatiness myself, I take my Levanox every day. I hope it doesn't cause the bleeding , omg

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/14 3:24 am
RNY on 12/16/13

Helen,

I had complications following my surgery and ended up having a second emergency surgery in the wee hours of the next morning to stop internal bleeding and remove two weeks of blood from my abdomen.  My recovery was lengthy.  A week after I got out of the hospital, I was read readjusted for three days because of anemia and dehydration - at that point I was pumped full of fluids, a banana bag, four runs of potassium, and two bags of blood.  My doctor and program nurses told me to stay off the scale because of all of the fluids.  I had a gastric tube for 8 weeks and used this to supplement with liquid iron until it was removed, per ,y doctor's orders.  I was cleared to return to work after six weeks and a month later came down with pneumonia and asthmatic bronchitis which took me out of work for a month.  My surgery was in December and it was the end of April before I felt like I was gaining ground.  

I have are had no regrets and worked really hard once I was finally back on my feet to be successful.  Hang in there.  Give yourself time to heal.  Stay off the scale - it will get headed in the direction you are hoping for.

best wishes for a smooth recovery and continued healing.

Most Active
Recent Topics