regular bowel movements

vukelap
on 11/24/14 12:09 pm

Hi.  I went to my first post op appointment today and got cleared to move to pureed stage. Problem is I have not had a bowel movement since Friday (11/21).  I've only been on liquids so didn't seem to matter, but doctor seemed a little worried.   Is this really an issue?  Any thoughts appreciated. 

Thanks,

Paul

Frankie82
on 11/24/14 3:09 pm
RNY on 08/07/14

I would consider taking a stool softener. I didn't think I'd eaten enough to warrent a BM when I was on strained foods, but after day 3 of the softeners I proved myself wrong. You also do not want to go too long without a BM as you can become impacted and the preasure of trying to pass that hard stool can cause some damage to your surgical site (and it hurts like a bugger).

At nearly 5 months out, I take 4 doses of fibre into my water daily and still have to take a laxative about once a week. I am mindful to take a dose if I reach day 3 without a BM. 

MickeyDee
on 11/24/14 7:54 pm

Milk of Magnesia, stool softeners or Miralax.  All good options.  Believe me, speaking from personal experience, you don't want to be trying to pass a brick if you wait too long.

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/14 9:21 pm - Edmonton, Canada

I was told 1 BM for every 3 days is ok, then to start taking action. I didn't realize how important fibre was, did I pay the price for that. Good luck and speedy recovery.

vukelap
on 11/24/14 10:15 pm

Thanks to all for responses.  Was able to go this morning,  which is a relief. I will be looking into the fiber and stool softner options...todays movement was not fun!  Thanks again. 

Monkeygrl14
on 11/25/14 2:48 am - Fresno, CA
RNY on 03/21/14

I am 8 months post-op and have had bowel issues. I take 30 ml of lactulose, a stool softener and a dose of fiber a day. It really helps. Going from having severe IBS, going 12 plus times a day to going once a day was really weird for me. Good luck! Also, lots of fluids help with bowel movements. Make sure you are getting enough.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 305 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views