Just realized I only have 11 days left before I can no longer eat the way I used to...

vukelap
on 10/28/14 2:42 am

Hello,

I am having RNY surgery 11/14.  My surgeon is requiring me to not eat anything except a liquid diet past 11/8.  I just realized I only have 11 days left to eat...starting to panic a little.  I'm excited about the surgery, but worried about losing this big part of my life.  Any words of encouragement or a personal experience you may have had during the last few days before surgery that will help me get through this would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

LISER617
on 10/28/14 4:39 am - MA
RNY on 08/01/14

I felt the same way but in my experience this totally changes after surgery. Up until now (im still early on) i havent had any real cravings and im suprised at how easy it is to watch people eat. I really have no desire at this point to endulge.  It doesnt bother me one bit. Im sure as time goes by this will get harder but I think youll be surprised at how different you will feel towards food post-op. The first few days of liquid diet are tough but by day 3 or 4 you wont even be hungry!

Lisa (38) my goal is 160 lbs.... my dream is happy and healthy

djacobs2k3
on 10/28/14 5:19 am

Hey Paul... I'm in pretty much the same boat you are. My surgery is scheduled for 11-20, and I'm both excited and scared at the same time. I go on the "liquid" diet starting 11-6, but have been trying to add the shakes to my diet instead of food for a couple of weeks now - the more you can shrink your liver, the better the procedure will be. I, too, am scared of the thought of not being able to eat whatever I want to anymore (I have problems with people telling me I can't do something), but I just try to keep focus on how good I'm going to feel after the surgery and the weight starts coming off. What's more valuable to you: the taste of the wrong kind of food in your mouth now, or growing old with your family, friends, and loved-ones?

dragonlove
on 10/29/14 7:07 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Hey there!  I had my surgery exactly a year before yours!  11-20-2013!  I hope yours goes as well as mine did!  Get your head in the game and try to do like you said - concentrate on what you will be gaining instead of what you are losing.  I also have never done well with being told what NOT to do... however, I do follow rules fairly well.  Some people do well with never having certain foods again. For others, that is certain failure.

Luckily, my surgeon and nutritionist helped me set rules for myself according to the plan.  Instead of telling yourself you will never have X, Y, or Z again, tell yourself that you can still have them WITHIN THE RULES OF THE PLAN.  For example - Pizza was one thing that I certainly had a "food funeral" for.  Afterwards, I ended up at an event where I needed to eat, and the ONLY thing provided was pizza!!  I certainly followed the rules of "protein first".... I got a couple of slices of meat heavy pizza and only ate the toppings.  Once I figured I'd had enough protein, I allowed myself a couple of bites of full pizza - crust and all.  Tasted good, but it simply isn't the same once you are already almost full. :)

You are starting now to plan your new life plan... once you have surgery, you are NOT on a diet!  You are eating to plan and making life choices.  Diets are temporary.... eating to plan is for life!

Sure, there are times I want stuff that isn't too smart to eat. Instead of telling myself that it is forbidden, I tell myself that I have to eat for my plan first... I have my good meal or snack that is protein forward and when I am done, I ask myself if I still want some of the sweet or whatever it was.  Often the decision is NO!  Once I've eaten the protein, I honestly don't want it any more!  Sometimes, the answer is yes... so I have a bite or two for my remaining space.

Consider this too - sometimes your tastes will change after surgery.  What you really love now may not be something that your taste buds love after the surgery.  Try not to worry ahead of time. Instead, get your mind in the game and decide to follow the plan you are given.

You've got the right overall attitude!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Jennifer K.
on 10/28/14 6:15 am - Phoenix , AZ

I am over 8 years out an eat "normally" for the most part. Nobody questions what I eat or the size etc... I feel like I eat like most other "normal" people do. There are no foods I cannot tolerate and can eat what I want... there are foods I do choose to no longer eat (over 5 years McDonald's freeeeeeee!) but no foods I tell myself I can never have again. My relationship with food is MUCH different now than it was before surgery... that has really been the biggest change... food is still a huge part of my life... you have to eat to live. I love to cook now, grow my own food, love watching food network and looking online for dinner ideas etc... food no longer controls me, I control the food now... post-op eating will be a bigger part of your life than it is now.. at least for quite some time.. logging what you are eating, measuring, getting your protein in, pre-planning snacks/meals, spending forever at the grocery store reading labels, looking at menus before you go out to eat to see what your best food choice is etc.

I think we all feel the same way pre-op... we go crazy eating stuff, think we can never eat this or that again and learn later on that's not how it is. Granted some people do have food intolerances etc, but most of us eventually are "normal". Definitely the mental relationship with food is something that each of us has to work on. I went to therapy pre-op and had all the tools I personally needed post-op to overcome my issues and move forward with my life. I feel that is the biggest key to success along with the "tools" the surgeon gives you. The surgeon can "fix" you physically, but only you can "fix" yourself mentally.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

selhard
on 10/28/14 9:00 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I am about to CELEBRATE two years no longer eating the way I used to.  The surgeon seemed more like an electrician not only re-routing my gut system but also turning off an electrical switch-- losing the part of my life that involved stuffing myself sick with food.  What a relief!   Even after professional help, I still wonder why I abused myself so badly with no horrid past to blame for it.  You are about to take the leap of faith for a better life...worry and panic will soon be replaced with determination and gratitude.

vukelap
on 10/29/14 2:59 am

Thank you all for your replies.  At the end of the day there will be a whole new me who won't view food as a crutch or a friend, and need to focus on the excitement that is to be my new life post surgery.

Just another thing to ask, since you've been through this.  My surgeon is only requiring me to go through a 5 day liquid diet before surgery.  I am trying to keep things healthy and cut back between now and Sunday, 11/9 when the liquid diet is to begin.  My wife seems to keep pushing me to be in situations where I may fail between now in then.  Our kid wants wings, so she wants us to go tonight to this place that has a wing night.  I told her I didn't want to go, but she is giving me junk about this is the last time in a while we can go out as a family.  Her parents are coming in from out of town this weekend, so of course we are to go to lunch and dinner Saturday, and then to breakfast on Sunday.  Next week is just planned out just as bad as this week up till I start the liquid diet.  Every time I push back she gets disappointed knowing that time is falling short for our old eating lifestyle. 

I think she will be very supportive after the surgery, but she seems to not care that I care about trying to cut back before the surgery.  She isn't that much overweight (only about 25 lbs), so she doesn't know what I am going through.

Did your spouses/significant others put you throught the same 'last chance to eat roadshow' like I am dealing with?  Any suggestions as to handle?

Thanks again for your advice!

Trouble1391011
on 10/29/14 4:08 am

My husband was very supportive, but I lived as I always had until I went on my liquid diet pre-op.  Mine was only for 3 days, so it started Friday and I had surgery on Monday.  I went out to Texas Roadhouse for my last date night before my surgery and enjoyed my dinner.  I know it will be a while until I can have steak again, so that is what I wanted the most.  You can still go with them and maybe make better choices instead of getting wings.  Or maybe eat your dinner before you go out to eat, and then just enjoy your drink and time with your family.  I still cook dinner every night for my family and have been out to eat, I just have to eat things that are different than them.

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/14 4:19 am

It can be very nerve wracking waiting for surgery.I am only a year out but I would always try to think of things I would be able to do after the surgery. One of my biggest things was to be able to sit in a booth or not to worry if a chair was going to hold me when I went somewhere.

I was worried about what I was going to be able to eat after surgery.I have never felt so good in a long time.Just listen to what you are supposed to do and follow the plan the doctor has given you.

Life is so much better for me now.I feel ten years younger. Best Wishes on your surgery.

mdaggett
on 10/29/14 6:10 am
RNY on 11/19/14

I am starting my liquid pre-op on the 8th as well.  I am excited about it.  lol....  I probably wont be saying that after a few days in but I know that once I start that it wont be long before I have surgery.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 305 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views