Has anyone tried Dr. Travis Stork's The Doctor's Diet following RNY?

bthayes0
on 10/21/14 3:20 am

After weeks of being unhappy with my weight loss results, multiple sobbing occasions (WOE is ME) and not understanding why I'm not losing (I'm eating no restricted foods and staying at probably 500-600 calories daily) someone suggested that I look at Dr. Travis's STAT diet plan.  The thought is that maybe using that plan along with the assistance of my smaller pouch may allow me to see some success.

I've called the Doctor's office and I just get told to not be so vigilant about my weight.  HELLO!!!! I've just changed my entire life around and given up so many things that I've always loved in order to lose weight.  I find it hard to believe that anyone who undergoes this isn't going to be vigilant about their results. 

I've glanced at the diet and it does look extremely healthy.  Just wondering if anyone else had tried this post op.

FYI:  I'm 7 weeks post op.  SW: 275. CW 253.  Please understand that 15 of the lost pounds occured in the first 7 days.  It has been nothing but stalls since that time.  Down a pound, up a pound...

Jenn S.
on 10/21/14 3:37 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

I personally would not do anything not approved by my nutritionist and my surgeon.  I am not sure what you are expecting, or what you think you should have lost in 7 weeks, but your weight loss sounds fine to me. Many people on here will tell you they went through the 3 week stall and came out of it just fine.  If you are trying to lose super fast then you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.  You just need to let your body do what it needs to. Understand that stalls will happen, and that if magic diets were the answer, none of us would have needed surgery.

bthayes0
on 10/21/14 5:38 am

My surgeon told me at 2 week follow up that 30 lbs. The 1st month and 15 the 2nd month was what I could most likely expect. To be almost at the end of the 2nd month and not met 1st month expectations is heartbreaking. Regular dr. Says he doesn't understand slow loss. People at work and friends are questioning slow loss.  It all gets to you after a while when u know you are following guidelines.

Jenn S.
on 10/21/14 5:49 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

Not sure how much you have to lose total, but seems like your surgeon set the bar and you think you have failed because you didn't lose exactly that.  I did not lose 30 lbs the first month.  At 2 1/2 months I was down 35 lbs.  At a little over 4 months I am 52 lbs down.  I have been losing 3- 3.5 lbs a week average (with a stall included in there).  

You are setting yourself up for major disappointment because your focus is negative on the amount you've lost vs. focusing positively that you ARE losing. I agree with Kelly, I think it's advisable for you to get some counseling.  You have a long road ahead and if you are going to constantly be crying because you aren't losing fast enough, the road will not be fun for you and you'll be missing out on a lot of positives. You need to be able to see the big picture. Good luck.

poet_kelly
on 10/21/14 4:15 am - OH

I would follow your doctor's plan and consider seeing a therapist to deal with the "woe is me" feelings.  You ARE losing, you just aren't losing as fast as you apparently thought you would.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bthayes0
on 10/21/14 5:45 am

Please see response to the above comment. I don't need a therapist...but I would like someone to explain slow loss rather than telling me to not be so vigilant. I also find it hard to believe that, as your post makes me feel, I'm the only person who gets upset or concerned when not meeting weight loss expectations.  It seems like a warranted reason to me. I would think most people who don't lose what surgeon tells them they can expect would be upset.  Am I wrong about that?

Jenn S.
on 10/21/14 5:56 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

My personal opinion is that your surgeon was wrong to tell you to expect to lose 30 lbs the first month. Everyone is different.  You are losing at the rate that is right for your body.  That you view it as slow because you didn't meet some arbitrary number is why you probably should talk to someone.  You need to focus on the fact that you are losing. This is your health and your future. Not a race.

bthayes0
on 10/21/14 6:17 am

Thanks for your reply.  Please let me clarify that I am not a blubbering idiot 24/7. I do work full time and run a part time business as well.  I function normally. I'm not sure that was clear. I have, however, had a crying spell (for a short amount of time) several times.  Everyone on here seems to say Follow the surgeons advice. ..what does your dr. Say?...etc.  They are the WLS guru. Does it not make sense that I would feel like I was failing and sometimes get down in the dumps if what my guru said should happen wasn't happening. I am glad I'm losing...and I recognize that losing this slowly has some benefits (like I don't have to worry about thinning hair)...but anytime we have goals *set by us or for us Hu our surgeon) and fail to meet them it is upsetting. 

Jenn S.
on 10/21/14 7:23 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

In general I do believe it is important to follow your plan and listen to your doctor.  I've heard a few stories on here where the doctor or NUT was giving really bad advice, so it does happen.  I will say though, that your doctor telling you to expect 30 lbs the first month was just setting you up. This is my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth. He should know that everyone loses differently, there will always be someone who has lost faster than you.  You have to adapt to what your norm is and celebrate when you can.  

As far as you calling this slow weight loss, I disagree. I don't believe it is slow.  I also don't believe you are failing. When in your life have you ever lost that much weight in such a short amount of time?  I also don't think you should be listening to coworkers and others, etc.  I also am not sure where you got the idea that you wouldn't lose your hair, but it's probably not true.  However, the hair loss isn't the end of the world and it isn't permanent. Worry about that though when you get to it.  

Try to relax and not be so wound up and tied to an exact number.  The weight will come off.  

bthayes0
on 10/21/14 7:28 am

Thanks such for all of your feedback. The hair comment was a joke. I guess my humor didn't come through.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views