I've been approved for a revision but need help deciding...

kaniky
on 10/17/14 6:03 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I need to decide between gastric sleeve and bypass. I’m leaning towards bypass. I would love to hear the pros and cons of having this surgery. I do know that everyone’s journey is different, but I’m trying to be as informed as possible.

With the band, I get food stuck. Does that generally happen with the bypass?

Do you have to take supplemental vitamins or shots? I’ve heard they can be quite expensive.

If you had to do it over again, would you chose the bypass again?

Thanks so much!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

White Dove
on 10/17/14 7:43 am - Warren, OH

Why are you being revised? 

If you lost weight easily with the lapband, then the restriction of the sleeve will be enough for you

If you need malabsorption as well as restriction, then the RNY is a good choice for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ShebasMom
on 10/17/14 9:28 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I had severe reflux, and the sleeve that I wanted, would have worsened it. My reflux is better, but not gone. With the RNY, you cannot take NSAIDS. I miss not being able to take them for my pains. My weight loss was very slow with the RNY. If I didn't have the malabsorbtion, I don't know if I would have lost as much weight as I did with the RNY.  

bublegirl1
on 10/17/14 12:21 pm, edited 10/17/14 12:22 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I had the sleeve in 2010. Doctor used a 40 bougie which is a little conservative but I didn't get any strictures or anything so that was good. I had, and still have good restriction. But my as the stomach heals the restrictioned lessened and I gained half my weight back. I never even got to goal with the sleeve either. Went from 285 to 209. My goal is 170. 

Being obese since a child, my doctor feels the malabsorption would help me to at least get to goal this time. Obviously I need to be diligent with measuring my food this time and not allowing carbs back in like I did. I at least maintained half the weight loss for two years now so I'm doing something right but need a bit of extra help. 

I've ready many cases of people never getting to goal and gaining all the weight back with the sleeve. But saying that, anyone can regain with any surgery so ultimately it's up to you. Good luck!

-Amie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/17/14 1:33 pm - OH

If you have no medical conditions that would dictate one surgery over the others, basically what it boils down to is whether you are willing to trade a lifetime of lack of vitamin absorption (and having to take vitamins 4 or more times per day for the rest of your life) for 18 months of caloric malabsorption (and a small amount of permanent fat malabsorption) in order to get the weight off.  

Once you are 2 years out, maintaining the weight loss requires the same things regardless of whether you have VSG or RNY: controlling your portion sizes and making good food choices. 

I had the RNY and have been successful with it, but personally, if I were doing it again, I would NOT trade my lifetime vitamin absorption for temporary caloric malabsorption, and would opt for the sleeve.  I don't regret having had the ranch at all, but I do wish the sleeve had been an option for me 7 years ago.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy R.
on 10/19/14 2:44 am

What Lora said.  AND the fact that if  you have or develop any chronic pain conditions you will not be able to take NSAIDS like ibuprofen or naproxen for pain relief.  Since those are the drugs that bring down inflammation not being able to take them is a literal pain.  I take narcotics now - but I would gladly trade my double strength percocet for a handful of ibuprofen any day.

Good luck with your decision.

Gwen M.
on 10/18/14 9:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I hope you'll post this on the VSG forum as well.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics