Never thought I would say this.......

KatBee
on 9/23/14 10:52 am

but I'm frigging sick of hearing people say "Your just shrinking away." "You need to stop loosing weight, you'll waste away to nothing"

I'm 16 months out I'm down 95 lbs & my weight has been stable for 11 months. I really just want to say "STFU"

Ok I feel better thanks :-)

bublegirl1
on 9/23/14 11:31 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I hope that will happen to me! Lol but seriously I can see how that can be annoying!

-Amie

Ladytazz
on 9/23/14 11:59 am

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, starting with when I was just reaching a normal BMI.

It isn't unusual for people who experience rapid weight loss to look gaunt at first.  There is a period of redistribution and then we normalize.

I went from hearing how thin I looked to having people tell me I looked so much better now that I put on weight.  My weight was basically the same.

DO NOT freak out and start thinking you need to eat, eat, eat to look healthy.  I have seen that bite so many people in the butt.  Losing too much weight is not an invitation for a free for all or you will wind up with a large regain that won't come off as easily as it did the first months after WLS.

I always heard it is best to go a bit lower then your goal if you can to have some bounce back room.

All told, from my very lowest to now I would say I have put on about 10 lbs, not significant but in a fairly healthy range.

Interestingly, according to the body fat scales, I am still 24% body fat.  That means I have over 25 lbs of body fat still on my frame if they are to be believed.  Yet I weigh about 110.  

I have been pretty stable for about 3 years (except that 10 lbs I talked about), wearing the same clothes from 2011 (never happened to me before in my life) and it has been eons since anyone told me I look too thin.

I used to have on my signature line for goal weight "When people stop asking me if I am sick."  I wasn't kidding.  Even strangers felt the need to comment.  It does get better.

Just stay the course and gradually add in good quality food until your weight settles at a place you and your doctor are happy with.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SkinnyScientist
on 9/24/14 1:10 am

This was an awesoem post.  Thank you. It is good to know that it redistributes.

I hope to get to 130-142.  NOrmal for my height

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

White Dove
on 9/23/14 1:06 pm - Warren, OH

I went through a year of being too skinny and highly enjoyed it.  I was disappointed when my body figured out how to gain weight again.  I sort of loved going to stores and asking if they had anything smaller.

No problems with that now.  I regained more than ten pounds and have to fight live crazy now not to gain more.   It is very common to see people too skinny during the second year after surgery and very rare to see one too skinny after three years.

Your body will fill in the hollow spots and will learn how to absorb food again. You don't have to do anything to make that happen.  Enjoy this time.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 9/24/14 1:11 am

sort of loved going to stores and asking if they had anything smaller.

OMG! Priceless. I WANT that experience!

Patm
on 9/24/14 12:16 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Yes it is annoying. When people *****ally do not know me ask me how much I have lost I want to ask them how their weight is. It is like it is open season on anyone who has lost weight. As others have said your weight will re-distribute. Now I have people who do not recognize me. LOL

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/14 12:43 am

It can be annoying but I suck up when people tell me I am shrinking. I hate when they tell me I need to stop losing.

But my husband was holding me the other day and told me I was tiny. That was the best thing ever he only weighs 165 pounds. 

I have never been tiny. I have always been told you are just a big girl and big boned. I will take the wasting away to nothing over being called big boned. 

SkinnyScientist
on 9/24/14 1:08 am

Me too! And I still got 30 lbs to go!

I hope I "waste" away to a healthy/normal BMI

Sarahakers11
on 9/24/14 4:22 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I totally get how your feeling but wanted to offer a different POV.  I cant always do it cause sometimes I get irritated as well.  I have been very open about my RNY and the Tummy Tuck and BA I had just a few weeks ago.  People have made comments about my weight as I've lost it and losing too much.  I also have a poor friend at work that people seem to be more willing to approach and ask her about me.  Often asking her to tell me to stop losing weight or tell her she doesnt need to have a TT or a BA or whatever else.  She tells them to just talk to me directly....and heres why. 

I have talked very openly about my journey and will continue to do so. I gladly offer that i had hanging skin or boobs that were just skin.  and I will gladly say I had trouble keeping clean and didnt ever untie my shoes just slid them on because I was too heavy.  Most people are not complete jerks to my face some are.  HOWEVER recently I have had a few people in tears in a bathroom corner or the locker room or the parking lot stop and ask me questions.  Some very personal questions.  If I tell 15 people and 14 react poorly but one person is helped its worth it to me.  If of the 14 *****acted poorly 1 decides to fix their health or weight just so they dont have to make the "stupid decision to undergo major surgery"  welll then I'm glad you can do it..I couldnt and I sure am glad your healthy. 

These same people who think I am too thin now..would have had a lot to say about me not addressing my weight if I died at 300 lbs.  I see these times as opportunity to educate and get people to stop shaming around weight!  Too big , too small, too bony, too muscular....we just beat eachother up.  So when someone says I'm too thin or that me lifting weights is gonna make me look like a man or that I dont need to change anything  I take a moment to respond honestly and in kindness and see if I can stop the cycle of shame!  becasue really I AM NOT ASHAMED OF MY BODY OR WHAT ITS GONE THROUGH..and you cant make me ashamed! 

Some days your right...they just need to STFU!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 300 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 273 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 238 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 321 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics