What was your weight loss like : Band to RNY?

Margeson2012
on 9/12/14 3:37 am

Ive heard mixed messages on what to expect from weight loss going from a band to RNY. So what have your experiences been?

White Dove
on 9/12/14 5:49 am - Warren, OH

I would suggest posting this on the revision forum

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Margeson2012
on 9/12/14 5:53 am

I have but no bites...

jpm
on 9/12/14 7:09 am

I have had both,I had the band in 2005 to 2012, I had it removed and in April 2014 I had my RNY.  The band for me now that I look back was a huge struggle.  After the healing process I struggled with "real" food.  To eat meat and veggies were always an issue.  You really have to chew and chew and then chew again.  When I was really stressed my band area was really tight and all I could get in was liquids so I would start to soft food it.  In the first 9 months with the band I lost approx. 90 lbs.  after that I had a hard time finding my sweet spot on my fills.  After numerous tries I just gave up on it, it did help me not gain back all the 90 pounds but I did gain weight back.  I felt like my band was controlling my life. every eating  occasion I stressed.  I look back and don't think I could have done the band my whole life.

With the RNY the recovery was a bit rougher but very do able.  I find myself still thinking like I have a band so tend to think food is going to stick but it doesn't really I chew my food well go slow and so far so good.  I am @ 4 1/2 months and I am down 85 pounds, I feel that with RNY I can eat good food with out stress or struggles...the band I felt I was so restricted on what would go through.  With the RNY I feel I can live a normal life with food and that my surgery is not controlling me, it is helping me.  It helps me not want the sweets and carbs where with the band the "bad" food went down so easy, milkshakes, ice cream, chips.  For me the RNY has been an amazing change for me.

Jaq

Margeson2012
on 9/12/14 7:19 am

Jaq -

I had the lap band from 2009 until August 25, 2014 when they took it out due to band slippage and they did a bypass. Like you the band recovery and life afterwards was horrible. The "good" foods i needed to be eating I couldn't but junk food would go down so easy. Plus I always had port pain. Thankfully my RNY surgery was one thousand times better than my band. Less pain and I havent had any nausea or trouble eating anything thus far.

I was told since I had the band first that I may not lose as quick as a person who is a "virgin" to WLS. So what was your first month's weight loss like? I'm just wanting to get an understanding of what I should be losing a month out? Or when your weight really started coming off?

Thanks,

Heather

Sherrie P.
on 9/12/14 1:44 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I was banded in 2005.

I was revised to RNY in 2013.

I hit goal weight in about 13 months.

BEST THING EVER!!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

worldtraveler07
on 9/13/14 9:30 am
Revision on 02/12/14 with

Hi,

I had a LapBand placed in 2007 and revised to RNY this year. The transition has been a bit bumpy due to complications (GERD and gallbladder) as a result of a hernia and issues related to the LapBand. The RNY surgery was so MUCH BETTER than my LapBand and I regret not getting the RNY first. My weight loss has been a bit slower but steady. My surgeon was very conservative and I did two separate surgeries (Lapband removal and GERD treatment, then revision to RNY this year). I have lost more weight with the RNY and I can eat a variety of foods which I could not do with the LapBand.

CLRodriguez2
on 9/17/14 12:20 pm
Revision on 09/02/14

Hi,

I had Lapband placed in Nov. '04 and had the RNY on sept 2! Still a newbie at this but so far I'm down 25lbs since starting my 2 week pre surgery diet to now.

i will begin soft foods Monday 

just trying to get the protein and liquids in has been hard for me so far :/

Revision surgery: Lapband removal to RNY - schedule September 2!!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 82 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 82 views