5 weeka out only lost 20lb

Eno
on 8/4/14 12:23 am - ocala, FL

Is that good or am i loosing slow?

Starting weight 232 

Pre op 226

Now 206

What can i do to help me loose more weight.. Im clear to eat food now but i can eat only so much i do not get protein in ;/ i cant do shakes i tried so hard. Idk what foods i can eat that have high protein. Any advice ?

ladygodiva1228
on 8/4/14 12:33 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

What does your surgeon's plan say?   How much weight do you have to lose?  Your body is only going to lose so much so fast and if you have only say 70lbs to lose you may lose it alot slower than someone who has 270lbs to lose. 

Oh and you have lost 4lbs a week that is pretty darn good.

Eno
on 8/4/14 12:39 am - ocala, FL

Thank you.. 

My surgeons really doesnt have a plan for me an never Told me a exact weight to loose at all.. My personal goal is 145-150 i have 56lb to loose but havin issue with protein 

Louise1974
on 8/4/14 12:53 am

I was 245 to start with and 5'4".  I lost very very slow.  Even if you were to lose 100lbs that still makes you a lightweight, meaning you are starting at a lower weight than some.  We tend to lose less quickly.  Sometimes you read about people who are losing massive amounts of weight each month, that probably won't happen for you.  I lost 10 lbs in my first 5 weeks, but I kept losing steadily for 10 months and lost a total of 100lbs.  I wouldn't try to lose weight any faster, it isn't good for your body and there is no reason for it, you have plenty of time to lose what you need to.  It does sound like you need to eat more protein.  That is really important.  No point in losing a bunch of weight only to become really sick. 

Here are some good high protein foods that are easy for the first few months:

cottage cheese, tuna salad made with mayo, egg salad, beans with spices and cheese melted on top, meat loaf, greek yogurt

It can be hard to get adequate protein in the beginning from good alone, doable but harder, especially if you can't eat much.  Have you tried mixing protein powder in with yogurt?  Can you tolerate that?  If not, you can buy non fat milk powder.  It works really well mixed with sugar free hot cocoa, yogurt, cottage cheese...  It doesn't have that funny taste that protein powder does.  Google The World According to Eggface, she has great recipes. 

Can you make an appt with the nutritionist/dietician at your surgeon's office?  Maybe they could help too.

poet_kelly
on 8/4/14 12:55 am - OH

That's an average of four pounds a week.  That's perfectly normal.

To loose more weight, keep following your plan.

Food with lots of protein include eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, beans, tofu, nuts, and of course meat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eno
on 8/4/14 1:22 am - ocala, FL

Thanks for the replys back... I will schedule a appt ASAP its not that i want too loose weight fast i feel good now at this pace i just thought i was loosing slower than normal.. I can eat chicken now and i was at winndixie and seen that tyson frozen party wings have 28 grams of protein in two wings thats awesome.. I have been eating almonds and eggs just so tired of it. I want to branch out im having shrimp tonight that seems to settle real well with me.

angeleigh
on 8/4/14 2:04 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

You are losing weight at a steady rate, when was the last time you lost 20 pounds in 5 weeks?

I have a whole Pinterest board with WLS friendly things to eat. I did a lot of chili, ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce, ground beef with re-fried beans, yogurt, cottage cheese. http://www.pinterest.com/slgreen46/gastric-bypass-stuff/

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Eno
on 8/4/14 3:04 am - ocala, FL

I just followed you on it thanks

RubyJG
on 8/4/14 2:29 am

Eno,

As you can see from my tracker, I started at 238, and haven't been losing buckets of weight like some folks either. I concur about the "light-weight" weight-loss slowness deal. The closer your body is to homeostasis, the more your body is reluctant to quickly change weight. While we recognize having 100 lbs of weight to shed is quite far from our ideal weight, it is a bit closer to 140 than starting with 200 lbs of weight on you. However, the important thing to note is that you are LOSING and you are steadily losing. It is a bit discouraging when it is slow, but take heart.

Here are some general observations made about my weight loss in the last ~4 weeks:

1. constipation and fluid intake: when I'm constipated I weight more (obviously), and this tends to have a correlation with fluid intake. If I drink less, I weight more because I have some extra stuff I need to get rid of. You might consider your bathroom habits: are you going regularly? Is the volume of your outputs adequate? What about the color and amount of urine? Are you dehydrated/constipated?

2. As others pointed out, hide the protein in everything you can. Can't do protein powder, try dried milk as others suggested. Log how many grams of protein you get in a day. I noticed that my weight generally came off slightly faster on the weeks where I was getting in a high level of protein (by hiding it in all my food, I can't eat that much either and have a hard time with the shakes)

3. Note that protein shakes probably need to be a good part of your diet for the next year or so at least, as there is no practical way to get in that much protein without them with as small of portions as we need to eat them. Now, you can absolutely prove me wrong and pound all your food with a 20g serving of unflavored protein powder in your yogurt cup/egg. But have you really been able to consistently eat that much?  Can you tolerate the taste and texture of that? Can you deal with the inconvenience of having to cook your food first, cool it, and THEN mix it in (whey powder can't be boiled or heated too much, if it is, the protein's will disassociate and the whey will separate and taste gross and be nutritionally moot)? If you can, great. For me, I'm still pretty restricted. Shop around, look for something you can tolerate. Most of the protein shakes I've tried have been disgustingly sweet. I found one which actually balances the sweet taste with some saltiness and tones it down to be more of a muted flavor I don't even notice. I use IsoPure Dutch Chocolate. If you find issue with sweetness, this one is great. I speak from personal experience, I hated drinking protein shakes, and was of the opinion that the natural method of protein of consumption (eating) was best. After observing myself, I struggled too hard to get the numbers in so I needed the shakes for supplements.

4. While meat has great protein content like chicken, ground beef...It is too restrictive for me right now to get any reasonable amount in. So I rely on soft proteins as others have suggested: cottage cheese, ricotta, greek yogurt, eggs, CarbMaster milk added to drinks. I have noticed, if I work on it, I could theoretically get in around 1 c worth of watered down greek yogurt but more likely 1/2 c. Nonetheless, with an avereage of 12 g per 1 small container of greek yogurt, if you have 3 a day you've gotten in 36 g which is a great start (you would of course need to supplement with other things, 36g really isn't sustainable). 

Hope these suggestions help. Don't worry, you are not alone.

"If you're going through hell, keep going."- Winston Churchill

Eno
on 8/4/14 3:20 am - ocala, FL

Wow very helpful imformation. I needed that i have unflavor protein powder im goimg to try it in my food

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 268 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 317 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics