open rny question

Eno
on 7/10/14 10:42 am - ocala, FL

Anyone who had open RNY how long did it fully take for your to recover where it didnt itch.. And it was safe to pick stuff up and feel comfortable.. I know everyones different and i dont want to ask my doctor because he didnt have it done i want to ask someone who has been threw it.. I finally had the rest of the staples removed yesterday and it just hurting i have been wearing my binder ever since i got home i scared to go without it. I want to feel better.. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/10/14 11:16 am - OH

It took me about 4 weeks before I started to feel significantly better and be moving around normally.  I didn't have any itching, though.  My surgeon allowed me to lift only things under 5 pounds initially, and then after a couple of weeks it was 10 pounds, and then for another couple of weeks nothing over 20 pounds.  It has been 7 years so I don't remember exactly what the timeline was.

I followed the instructions to the letter but still ended up with an incisional hernia. :(

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Eno
on 7/10/14 11:27 am, edited 7/10/14 11:27 am - ocala, FL

Thats what im scared of is a hernia.. ;/ i have been doing everything careful. How long after surgery did u get one

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/11/14 11:21 am - OH

I noticed the bulge from it by the time I was about 6 months out or so (after I had lost 100 of the 190 pounds).  The pain didn't start until a few months later.  When it did start, it hurt more than I expected.  I had a 4x4 piece of mesh installed when she repaired it to keep it from recurring.

My surgeon said that sometimes when the muscle is already weakened from being stretched so much because of the fat underneath it (if someone is very large or carries a lot of the weight in their belly), even if you do everything right, it just doesn't heal properly and can rip open.

Eggface
on 7/10/14 11:43 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I wore a binder for several weeks after my open RNY, it helped me feel more secure. I didn't pick much up for several weeks. I remember feeling near "normal" at 7 weeks. I remember the itching as I was healing... drove me insane... Triple Antibiotic ointment helped and then when all was healed I used Bio Oil.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Eno
on 7/10/14 12:21 pm - ocala, FL

Now how did yall scars look like im 22 years old really was hoping to be able to wear a baithing suit and feel okay about myself..

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/11/14 11:23 am - OH

My incision healed up to be just a very thin white line.  The left over stretch marks (and the estate, loose skin) were a much bigger issue than the incision!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 62 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views