Stomach pain - 4 weeks post op

Mimi2Konnor
on 7/1/14 10:07 am
RNY on 06/03/14

So I am 4 weeks post op today, and about 4 or 5 days ago I started having minor stomach pain whenever I eat.  I can literally feel the food as soon as it hits my pouch and I get a "stomach ache" for lack of a better way to describe it.  It's painful, but not extreme pain by any means.  More of an achy dull pain.  It lasts for several minutes after each bite of food.   It doesn't seem to matter what it is I eat (yogurt, cottage cheese, egg, etc) anything going into my pouch causes the pain to start.   I'm even having a difficult time getting my liquids in.  I don't have the same pain when I drink, but just a sip or two makes me feel extremely full.   Has anyone else had these issues? 

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

poet_kelly
on 7/1/14 10:20 am - OH

Call your doctor.  Could be a stricture or an ulcer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bluedog1925
on 7/1/14 11:06 am

I had the exact same thing. They also thought I had a stricture. They did an upper GI and all was well. My doc doubled my acid reflux meds and it helped somewhat. He also said there could still be some swelling. I still have it to some degree and I am 3 months out. I had my 3 month follow up on Friday and told them about the discomfort. They assured me it would get better. One thing my dietitian told me was to have only warm drinks in the morning. He said it kind of coats the pouch a little. It works to some degree for me. I guess time will tell. But I would let your surgeon know in case it is an ulcer or stricture. Good luck to you!

Shirleyann_43
on 7/1/14 11:22 am

I had the same thing too. Mine were a stricture. I also had it in the beginning. DR's usually tells you to go back to liquids and that will let him/her know whether liquids are staying down or is it just food getting stuck. Walking helps to ease your pouch. But you are right it is not healed. I had to take my nausea meds before I eat or drink....

new_me180
on 7/1/14 3:00 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I had the same thing 3 weeks out and it was an ulcer. I didn't go to the doctors until it was too late and by then i was dehydrated. Spent a week and a half in hospital, no fun. Talk to your doc as soon as you can so if it is that you can get some help sooner. My symptoms were exactly the same as yours as well. Wish you well.

Mimi2Konnor
on 7/2/14 1:16 pm
RNY on 06/03/14

I called the doc this morning and they started me on some acid reducer twice a day and I feel much better already!  They said I should see a difference within 48 hours and I felt a difference within just a couple of hours.  Hopefully that will be all I need :) 

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 345 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 361 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?