Vegan after Gastric Bypass

pittgal08
on 6/28/14 2:40 pm

Hi yall, I haven't been on in a very long time, but I knew exactly where to go to get advice. ;) So I'm still working on getting my RNY. I've got 26 more lbs to lose before they will do it. Anyway, I'm kind of worried, and almost second guessing my decision because I have recently gone vegan. I absolutely love the vegan lifestyle, and I do not want to give it up. I'm looking for advice on whether it's possible to be vegan after RNY. I have found a few things online, but they have all been from people who are several years out. So, I'm hoping yall can help me understand if it is possible, and if you know of any resources for me. I am currently 456 lbs so I really do want to have surgery, but not at the expense of my vegan lifestyle. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so very much! Blessings!

gbsinsatx
on 6/28/14 3:30 pm - San Antonio, TX

I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. Yes, it is possible to be a Vegan, though it will take a lot of effort to get in all your protein. If you want something bad enough, you will always find a way! 

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

poet_kelly
on 6/28/14 8:10 pm - OH

Sure, it's possible.  Check out the writings of Dr. Garth Davis - he's a well-known bariatric surgeon that recommends a vegan diet.

It will be a challenge to get your protein in right after surgery, I imagine.  I am a vegetarian, have been for more than 25 years, but I do eat dairy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/14 9:41 pm

Vegan relay on lots of carbs.  That may be an issue for RNY. A lot of people long term RNY limit their carbs to prevent regain.  I have to stay really low carbs to lose a small regain I have and even on maintnace. 

First few years post op RNY my eating included lots of dairy(yogurt, cheese, whey proteins), eggs, meat.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pittgal08
on 6/30/14 6:25 am

Thank you all SO SO much! I feel really good about it now. I believe like you said that if I want it bad enough I'll work with it and figure it out. At times I may have to dial it down to being vegetarian, but I'm willing to do that from time to time if absolutely necessary. I will absolutely look up that Dr, what a terrific link. Thank you all!! ;)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 241 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views