How hard is Maintenance?

Toni4321
on 6/4/14 3:07 am

I am only seven weeks out but worry how difficulty maintenance will be.

A few years back I lost 72 pounds, only to gain most of it back.

Since we may begin to feel hungry by then, how hard is this going to veto keep the weight off?

poet_kelly
on 6/4/14 3:40 am - OH

Very likely you will start feeling hungry before you get to maintenance.  Hunger seems to come back for most people between three and six months post op.

I think it's much easier to keep the weight off now than it was pre op because I get full on small amounts of food.  However, I have to make good food choice and I still need to watch my portion size, and that's still difficult for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sarahakers11
on 6/4/14 5:19 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I started getting hungry around 6 - 8 months.  I get hungry now sometimes so much so I have to add protein shakes and that seems to help.  I find its typically when I am working out heavy. I think I just cant absorb the amount of calories and protien needed for some workouts.  I find adding an extra protein shake seems to balance that some

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/4/14 4:45 am

It sucks..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Patm
on 6/4/14 5:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

A favourite saying here is they operate on your stomach not your head. Maintenance for me is all about the head hunger and cravings. Now I know what being thinner feels like I am more motivated to stick to the plan. I do not want to go back to the joint pain or diabetes of before. But some days are easier than others

birdiegirl
on 6/4/14 5:53 am

Its bloody difficult....and like H.A.L.A said...it sucks....however....I feel so lucky to have restriction to assist my efforts....and so lucky to have a chance to get the weight off in the first place

I can only speak for me....but I have to be mindful every day...with every bite.....or I will go back "there".....

Toni4321
on 6/4/14 7:38 am

Guess I am afraid I won't lose everything I need to lose in the first place, and then keep it off.

Did you think, early on that you wouldn't get all the weight off and keep it off?

Thank you for your replies

Laura in Texas
on 6/4/14 9:49 am

Yes, I was scared I would never lose it all, but I did. And 5.75 years later I still fight hard everyday to keep it all off. It is possible to stay at goal, but you can never think you are "cured" from obesity.

I read all the regain posts. They keep me mindful.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Friends K.
on 6/4/14 8:31 am
RNY on 01/14/14

I'm surprised each day that at 4.5 months I'm down 80 lbs. I can't imagine going further but each week I follow plan and a bit more comes off. I thought I might be 50 down by his stage and here I am at 80!

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Louise1974
on 6/4/14 10:20 am

I was terrified surgery would not work for me and I would not lose weight.  And then I did!  Now I am worried about maintenance as well.  I am 20 months out and have been maintaining for 10 months.  I am early in the game here so I don't have any big advice.  But I think being worried is very normal.  I agree with Kelly, I find this much easier than maintaining pre-surgery.  But it is hard.  All the issues that got me here (poor planning, emotional hunger, binging...) all come back.  I do find that it is easier to deal with it now.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 401 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 391 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 283 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 157 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?