Swelling

Toni4321
on 6/3/14 12:33 pm

I am 7 weeks out and down 45 pounds.  The past week I have had terrible swelling in my left leg and ankle.  I am drinking over 60 ounces a day.  Does anyone know what this possibly might be?  Can we take Lasix or will that dehydrate me?  It's pretty bad and turning purple in spots.

tdbull
on 6/3/14 12:57 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
If it's turning purple I would call your surgeon. Otherwise, I had terrible edema for about 2 weeks post op, to where I got numbness and tingling and pain in both calves and feet. It finally went away but even my surgeon didn't know why this happened. Sorry I'm not more help.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

selhard
on 6/3/14 1:58 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Not to scare you, but if I were you, I'd want to rule out the possibility of blood clots as soon as possible.

Brimiller808
on 6/4/14 9:32 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13
On June 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM Pacific Time, selhard wrote:

Not to scare you, but if I were you, I'd want to rule out the possibility of blood clots as soon as possible.

I agree!  My mom had a blood clot after WLS surgery. I'd rather be safe than sorry and go see you doctor. 

aesposito
on 6/4/14 5:37 am

Could be cellulitis, which is more common among obese.  It's a strep infection.  Have you run any fevers lately, even short ones?  Is the leg warm?  Do you normally take Lasix (which would help with fluid but not with cellulitis)?  If it's cellulitis, antibiotics can fix it but you need to see your doctor.

Drinking fluid does not usually cause edema by itself.  Ironic, I know... but I doubt your fluid intake has anything to do with the swelling unless it's very salty fluid (however I am not your doctor and can't make any snap judgements).

Or as another poster stated, recent surgery can be a risk factor for blood clots.

Long story short, you need to call your doctor asap.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Toni4321
on 6/4/14 7:42 am

No fever or anything like that.  Months before pre surgery I retained fluid in my legs and ankles and used Lasix. Can we use it post surgery?

aesposito
on 6/4/14 7:50 am

Is the swelling accompanied by difficulty breathing?  Do you have a history of CHF, pulmonary edema or heart failure?

Again, I really think you should speak to your doctor about this.  The question isn't whether we think you can use Lasix, the question is whether he/she wants you to use Lasix.  And we can't answer that question for you.

Also, remember that we can be low on potassium post surgery, and Lasix will deplete that even further.  If you are not already, he/she may put you on potassium supplements. 

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

PHAT_at42
on 6/4/14 8:18 am
DS on 03/12/14

I AM NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR but...Unilateral swelling in the extremity is not in keeping with your garden variety edema, unless one leg was elevated while the other was in a dependent position for an extended peorid of time. I agree that this unilateral pattern is more likely associated with an occlusion that would be seen in a blood clot. The discoloration " purple spots" further support the probability of a clot. Please present for evaluation and treatment as soon as possible. 

m1=23, M2=11, M3=4(had stall for 3wks), M4=6 M5=6 M6=6 M7=4 M8=3

I am a VSG to DS revison!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 397 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 386 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?