Good Multivitamin that we dont have to CHEW ??????

AlohaJen
on 6/3/14 2:35 am
RNY on 09/05/12

Do any of y'all take a good Multi vitamin that we dont have to chew?  I hate my Flintstone chewables and my surg won't let me take the gummies anymore. I am almost 2 yrs post op and hope to find one that is small enough that we can swallow?  Which ones do y'all suggest?  Thanks......................

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

jefferytmc
on 6/3/14 2:48 am

I like the Flintstones chewables, so I do not have any suggestions.

Have you tried anything else?

I was told by the surgeon that if it is a pill, it has to dissolve in water in about 5 mins for you to absorb it.  That might require breaking the pill in half before taking it.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

poet_kelly
on 6/3/14 3:23 am - OH

Why would it have to dissolve that fast in water?  Inside our digestive tract, it's not just in plain water.  There are gastric juices in there that help it dissolve.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AlohaJen
on 6/3/14 2:53 am
RNY on 09/05/12

No, Jeff, I never heard that about it having to dissolve... but I will certainly ask my NUT for sure... Thanks for the reply !!

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

Ladytazz
on 6/3/14 3:02 am, edited 6/3/14 3:02 am

Say what?  Your surgeon says you have to have chewables?  Not nearly enough of what we need and no reason you can't have a regular multivitamin.  I take generic senior vitamins, two a day, and have for years.

When you have a complete set of labs pulled, which I am assuming you do, you can see if there are any specific deficiencies that need to be tweaked.  Fortunately, my labs are all online, going back to about 2000, and I can pull them up in a graph so I can see if there are any trends, such as my D going up or down.

My goal is to keep my levels upper range for the most part and if I notice a trend downward then it's time to increase, before they get too low.  It is a lot harder to get your levels in a good range then it is to keep them there.

Multivitamins are great but our needs don't end there.  Vitalady is a good resource.  She is a long time post op who knows more about what we need then most surgeons.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 6/3/14 3:22 am - OH

Some chewables have what we need.  Flintstones don't, but some brands do.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cunning_Pam
on 6/3/14 3:09 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Unfortunately, any good quality multivitamin that you swallow is going to be fairly large. You can break them in half with a pill splitter if they're too big for you (A trick I learned here: Rub the broken sides against each other briefly to smooth them out a bit for easier swallowing.) I currently use Centrum Silver Chewables, mostly because my dietitian had been fairly insistent that I should be using a chewable vitamin and it was worth it to me to follow her advice on this. Eventually, though, I'll switch to multis I will swallow. It's not necessary to use a chewable vitamin forever, according to the ASMBS.

If you have trouble swallowing large pills, check out the Centrum Silver Chewables. They're pretty large, but I find the flavor very pleasant. Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

mama_dee54
on 6/5/14 2:18 am

How many Centrum Silvers do you chew a day ?

poet_kelly
on 6/5/14 2:28 am - OH

You would need two a day.  If you use a multi with 100% of the RDA of stuff in it, like Centrum Silver, you need two a day.

poet_kelly
on 6/3/14 3:21 am - OH

Flintstones is not a good multivitamin, you know.  It is missing some key nutrients, like selenium.

Centrum or a generic equivalent is good.  Most multis are not real small but there is no reason we cant' swallow large pills, unless that's just something you personally have trouble with.  I use the Family Wellness brand from Family Dollar.  $4 a bottle.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 248 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?