Any ideas to take/eat for Memorial Day cookouts?

Grandmaneice
on 5/22/14 8:51 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

This will be my first time going to a cookout since my surgery, other than Easter.  Was wondering if there is a good thing to take for me to eat.  I am 2 months out.  My SIL is having brats, dogs and burgers.  Which I think I can eat part of a burger. Since I seem to tolerate that and ground turkey good so far.  All the other foods we kinda have I won't be able to have, baked beans, pasta salad, taco dip, etc.

thanks and have a great holiday weekend!

basilmk
on 5/22/14 9:14 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Try shrimp on a skewer. You should be able to eat a few of those.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

ecm1109
on 5/22/14 9:51 pm

I'm taking deviled eggs to the cookout I'm going to.  I was struggling with going to a cook out as most people have not really seen me since  the surgery.  But a reminder that it is not about the food it's about people and being with family and building or rebuilding relationships and now I'm looking forward to it.   Have a great weekend!! 

Ocalasam
on 5/22/14 10:10 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Eat part of a hamburger with no bun and deviled eggs are a great thing for you to bring.  Just enjoy being with people and try not to focus on the food.  You'll probably only be able to eat a few bites here and there and be done.  It's an adjustment for sure. 

Grandmaneice
on 5/22/14 11:15 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

Thanks, I had forgotten about deviled eggs, I will attempt to make them!!  Them and a plain burger no bun, with a little less sugar ketchup will be on the menu for me.

poet_kelly
on 5/23/14 1:44 am - OH

I would think you could eat a little baked beans, unless they have a ton of sugar in them - even if they have some sugar, just a spoonful shouldn't be too bad.  Or you could make some baked beans without a lot of sugar.

I'm not sure what's on your meal plan at this point.  Can you eat salad yet?  What about fruit? Bariatricfood.com has a recipe for cheesy mashed cauliflower that might be good for a cookout.

You could make a Greek yogurt cheesecake dessert to take.  Mix sugar free cheesecake pudding mix and a little splenda with plain Greek yogurt and top it with no sugar added cherry pie filling.  Or you could make protein ice cream.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Needasplace
on 5/23/14 6:09 am - Plainfield, IL
VSG on 11/18/13

YOU ARE A GODSEND!  GOTTA TRY SOME OF YOUR RECIPES!  I WAS JUST ZONKED OUT WITH PLAIN; YOU GAVE ME SOME VARIETY THAT I HADN'T THOUGHT OF.  I JUST LOVE THIS SITE...WITH ALL YOU WONDERFUL GALS!  THANKS AGAIN!

Grandmaneice
on 5/23/14 11:05 am
RNY on 03/24/14

Never thought about baked beans, my SIL makes them for every cookout. I can eat iceberg lettuce.  Only have had a little on tacos, since I try to get my protein in first, since I was low in it in my blood work last time.  That mashed cauliflower sounds great and that Greek yogurt too.  How much yogurt do you use for it?  I boiled up some eggs today, we'll see how they peel, if I make deviled eggs, or have egg salad..ha ha. Thanks

Grandmaneice
on 5/24/14 8:10 am
RNY on 03/24/14

That Greek yogurt cheesecake dessert sounds really good, how much yogurt do you mix it with.  I take it you make the pudding and then mix the yogurt in?  Yes, I can eat ice berg lettuce right now and seedless cukes. and I can eat soft fruit with no peels or skins.

poet_kelly
on 5/24/14 10:08 am - OH

I use 32 ounces of plain Greek yogurt and one package of sugar free pudding mix.  No, I don't make the pudding.  I just put the powdered mix in the Greek yogurt and stir it up well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 183 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 183 views