sever pain

alexadenitto
on 5/22/14 7:26 am - CT
RNY on 04/08/13

I am having severe pain in the upper left hand side of my stomach, i have been having the pain for a very long time now on and off.  i have gone to my dr, the er, a second opinion and never get an answer.  have gotten many ct scans, upper endoscopy, and kolonoscopy.  a week and a half ago my bariatric surgeon took my gallbladder out and have been hopeful that would solve my problem and it has not. it has gotten so bad i leave work, nothing helps the pain, and i even passed out on a street and woke up in an ambulace.  it is a burning stabbing pain that gives me the sweats and i cant even stand up striaght. has anyone have any similar experiences. i just called my dr waiting for a callback the pain is so intense

rocky513
on 5/22/14 8:10 am - WI

It could be from adhesions (internal scar tissue).  Adhesions attach themselves to organs and the abdominal wall and can cause real pain.  Unfortunately they can't be found using CAT scans, MRI's, or x-rays.  The only way to find out if you have them is to have exploratory surgery.  They can clean them out, but there is no guarantee that they won't come back.  I have had three bowel obstructions caused by adhesions wrapping around my intestines.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/14 1:53 pm

I am so sorry you deal with that.  I had stabbing burning pain in the past and had 3 surgeries to correct hernias and twisted bowels.  That worked for some of the pain.  The rest masy be dfuer tyo my food allergy - food intolerance with possible IBS-C. 

I got tested for allergy and try to limit - eliminate foods that give me gas and pain, plus I need to make sure my bowels are moving well ... Google FODMAP diet.  The last surgerryh I gasd plus strict diet improved my belly comfort - reduced pain to 1-3 on scale 1-10... 

I hope you casn find as doc that can help you. I knows that c-scasns and other tests I had done before each oif my surgery disc not show anything abnormal.  My doc did lap exploratory surgery and every time found things and fix them.  Adhesdions will not show on most scans. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Louise1974
on 5/22/14 11:16 pm

I had an internal hernia that caused pain like that.  Sometimes you can see them on a cat scan  but they are easy to miss.  Keep pushing for an answer.  That kind of pain is not normal.  If it is a hernia, lying on your side in the fetal position might help.  Let us know what happens. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views