Pain in left side = ER visit

tiffjomo
on 5/20/14 12:44 am
RNY on 04/28/14

After severe pain for over a week, I went to the ER to seek treatment for my pain in my lower left side. I had been told by the nurse at my surgeon's office last week, it was my abdominal muscles healing. As the week passed, the pain had gotten worse. M surgeon is 4 hours away, and told me yesterday to go to the local ER. It was the first time that I felt I had to explain why I had gotten the RNY. My nurse was not familiar with the procedure at all, neither was my physician in the ER. They brought me 12oz of contrast to drink for a CT scan, and wanted me to chug it. I had to explain why that was impossible. It took me almost an hour to drink it. After blood work, urine sample, and CT scan they concluded that I have a severe UTI/bladder infection. My left ureter is also inflamed- which explains the sever pain in my side. Anytime I bend or twist my left side feels like I am being stabbed. It is almost as painful as labor- no exaggeration! The hardest part is the waiting for relief. I was given IV antibiotics in the ER last night and a pain shot, which didn't help. This morning I woke up feeling worse. I have taken two pain pills, and my antibiotics (Bactrim). I pray the pain goes away soon.

I am very happy that it wasn't anything worse- like bowel obstruction, perforated bowel, stricture,...

I am just ready to feel better. Going from healing from surgery (RNY 4/28/14) to dealing with this, I am ready to enjoy my summer!

The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength with in you! We can do this!

Amber L.
on 5/20/14 1:29 am - Grandview, MO

Oh, ouch! I'm sorry your in so much pain. I have to say I'm glad it wasn't something "more" serious than a UTI, though that IS serious, and can be treated fairly easily (vs another surgery.) I hope you get to feeling better soon. :) 

You're recover is on it's way and all of this will just be a memory. Keep your chin up.

Surgery date: May 28, 2014 | Heaviest Weight: 323 | Height: 5'9" | Age: 30

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 70 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 295 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views