Afraid...

Bsheldon
on 5/14/14 8:59 am

Seriously afraid that I may be developing a stricture. I have had to have EDG's done prior to RNY surgery and I cannot handle it… I do not want to have to do it again. I was partially sedated due to having a colonoscopy and then an EDG; well, I remember the nurse telling me to calm down. I was freaking out. 

I am scared because I am in the middle of my 5th week and it is getting harder and harder to keep food down… not sure it is even going down or just sitting on top of my stoma. I talked to my surgeon about a week ago about some pain after vomiting. He said that I could be developing a stricture but that it doesn't usually happen until the 6th week or after. So, I didn't think anything about it.

If I eat slider food or softer food, I can generally hold it. But I have noticed more and more often that anything with substance seems to come back up. At week three I started eating the Oscar Mayer P3 Protein packs… never gave me a problem… at four of them that week. Today I tried to eat one for lunch and didn't even get half of one eaten before I was in the bathroom and it was coming back up.

I know no one can help me, but I guess I am hoping to hear that I am not the only one. 

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/14/14 9:05 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am sorry you are afraid.  That's an awful feeling.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

basilmk
on 5/14/14 9:07 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I wasn't given the OK to eat ham or nuts until my 12 week doctor follow up. Maybe you're eating heavier foods too soon. 

Try softer foods and see if the problem continues.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

AnnyBananny
on 5/14/14 10:02 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Sorry you're feeling scared, it's a difficult emotion to cope with.

Try to really slow down your eating and make sure to chew "until pureed," as my NUT would say.  

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Toni4321
on 5/14/14 11:21 am

I am in the same boat as you are.  I am also nervous.  Mt doctor said to go back to liquid diet for 3 days and then try cottage cheese.  If I still have issue he will do the endoscope.  I am in week 5 and had the same thing with foods I previously could eat now getting stuck.  Water wouldn't even go down last night.

Hang in there.  We will get through this.  Perhaps he can give you something to sedate you better than last time.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

Keep in touch and good luck.

poet_kelly
on 5/14/14 12:02 pm - OH

If you need to have it done again, tell them you want to be fully sedated.  I have PTSD and knew I would totally freak out if I was awake at all.  So I told the doctor and all the nurses that, and I was out for the whole thing.  It was no big deal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bsheldon
on 5/14/14 1:17 pm

I will do that... If it comes to having to do it again. I am just hoping it doesn't. But I am glad to know that I am not the only one that freaks out by having something shoved down my throat and gagging me!

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

browneyes65
on 5/14/14 1:58 pm - IN

I had my surgery in January RNY and I had 3 strictures one week after the other, my pills keep getting stuck. The procedure was not bad I was asleep. I hated the 3 hour drive every time I had to go back.

Cunning_Pam
on 5/15/14 5:45 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Definitely monitor your situation and see what happens, but if you have a stricture it will not get any better on its own. If you get to the point when you can't even keep liquids down, you will run the risk of becoming dehydrated. Please keep in touch with your doctor and be honest about what's happening with you, so that he can check for a stricture and fix it if necessary. Please don't let fear of the possible procedure keep you from getting checked out if you need it.

I had to have my stricture dilated twice. Unlike you, I had a very good experience with the procedure - I was unconscious the whole time, and never felt a thing. If you have to have a dilation(s) done, definitely speak to the anesthesiologist and explain your situation to them. Like Kelly said, tell them you want to be out completely, that you've had the procedure in the past and were just sedated and it was a big problem for you. They should be able to work with you to give you anti-anxiety meds in your IV once it's started and to knock you out completely for the procedure.

Good luck to you! I hope you don't need the dilation, but if you do, I hope it's as smooth as possible for you.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Blackbird1987
on 5/14/14 11:06 pm

I am so sorry that you are going through this! I am 2 and a half months out and this was a big fear of mine as well! My support group and doctors all told me that I had to chew things until they were almost the consistency of applesauce before swallowing each bite and that has really helped me. Maybe try giving your body a break a bit and eating pureed and easy foods for a few days and then try with something that is "regular soft" and chew chew chew. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics