Hair Loss?

Tracy D.
on 5/14/14 5:02 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Just FYI - Biotin will not prevent hair loss.  What it will do is help the new hair that comes in to be strong and healthy.  

I could write you chapters about ****ty hair loss that goes on FOREVER but I'll spare you the details.  You can do a search on here for "hair loss" and read all the long sad stories.  Bottom line is that most people will suffer some loss.  For some of us it's significant to the point of noticeable bald patches.  However, most people are able to hold on until it starts to come back.  

If you have healthy hair now and are younger (under 40) then I would rest assured that any hair you lose will come back.  Most people report that it's getting back to normal at 9-12 months.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ladypoohbear
on 5/14/14 5:32 am

Hello and congrats on your surgery date.  I had surgery june 2013 and yes my hair did thin out for about 6 - 8 months.  Not fun but hey, it will grow back.....  enjoy your journey

Ladypoohbear

danslillady
on 5/14/14 6:47 am

I will be 6 months out next week and started losing hair about 2-3 months ago! It is significant even though my hair was thick. It is annoying. But, it doesn't change that it is a small price to pay to regain my health!

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

schatzi C
on 5/14/14 6:50 am
RNY on 10/29/13
On May 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM Pacific Time, KristenRB82 wrote:

Hey everyone! I've finally been approved by insurance and now everything is starting to set in...this is really going to happen. The dream has become reality!

My question is, how many of you guys suffered from hair loss? Has it been permanent? What, if anything has helped?

I know it sounds trivial for me to even worry about such a thing. But it has been in the back of my mind.

thanks so much! You all are a constant source of inspiration to me :)

Oh month 4 was when it happened for me. I have so much hair even still I am so depressed about the massive hair loss. It is A LOT. I find it everywhere!!! Biosil will not stop it but you will find this supp. extremely beneficial for hair and nails I have never used something that gave me noticible results. I think mine is just now starting to slow down.I hope the growth soon follows.It's overwhelming but a small price to pay.

Needanewbeginning
on 5/14/14 6:53 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Ahh yes, good ol hair loss. Hate it, can't avoid it, just have to get through it. I seriously was so worried about that, I had some serious hair loss previously from another health issue and thought oh great, I am going to go bald. Nope, at 12 months out, it's really coming back and somehow, no one noticed my hair loss but me! I tried biotin, true, it only helps the new growth. Those amazing products we all read about, may work, but not on this type of hair loss. 

Try not to stress too much (says the one who was looking into wigs preop!!) You will do great!

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

alaskasusan
on 5/14/14 7:39 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

My hair was my best feature pre-WLS and I stressed a little about losing it, but it was less important than getting off the weight.  I did lose a boat-load of hair starting about 3 months after surgery, and it stopped about 8 or 9 months out.  And I do mean that I lost a LOT of it!  It's been coming in just great (I have some long sideburns now, till it gets to the length of the rest of my very long hair); I do take a skin-hair-nails supplement just because I need to along with the rest of my vitamins.  It's really a toss-up if and how much you'll lose but don't let it get you down.  It does come back unless there is some other underlying factor.  And the trade-off was soooo worth it.  Good luck in reaching your goals!

rvtisme
on 5/14/14 8:15 am
RNY on 12/16/13

Oh my, the hair loss. Yes, clumps at every shower. My clothes especially my sweaters have hair all the time, it's ridiculouss  the amount I'm losing. I've cut my hair but need to go shorter, so that it doesn't look like baby fine hair, which it currently does right now. I don't have patches missing, and I think it bothers me more than anyone else looking at my head :)

i understand that this too shall pass, but gotta say, I wi**** was sooner rather than later, don't we all. Don't fret,.

good luck,

renee

HW: 355, SW 314.2, GW: 165 - Surgery Date 12/16/13

Sherrie P.
on 5/14/14 12:13 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Started losing at 4 months out - and it lasted until about 7-8 months. I am 15 months out now and I have sprouts and such every where. It will most likely fall out and it will most likely grow back.

Uhm... thinner is BETTER!!!!!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Beverly2013
on 5/14/14 1:11 pm

Hi, it will happen and not much you can do.  It will be scary once it starts (around month 4).  You will see clumps going down drain in shower.  Keep up the vitamins and protein and hopefully it will end within a few months.  I am at 9 months.  Hairloss was worse in Month 4 and 5.  It is now much better. I am waiting for hair to come back some.  It will be okay but you may never have as much hair as you have now.

KristenRB82
on 5/14/14 2:20 pm

Thank you so much for everyone that took their time to respond! I feel like I have such a great support system here on OH. 

I think this has helped me mentally prepare for that portion of GB. 

Thanks again :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 456 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 525 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 509 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 396 views
Recent Topics