Week 4 and today hard to eat and drink

Toni4321
on 5/13/14 12:48 pm

I have not had problems with cottage cheese and chicken spread and soup until today.

All 3 meals have been painful.  I was able to get 40 oz of water down before dinner.

Once I ate dinner I had to stop at one ounce because of the pain.  I chewed well and ate slow but it doesn't feel it's going into my pouch.  I threw up some.  After two hours I took a sip of water and it hurt.  Waited another hour and took a sip and it hurts.  Feels like I will , yep, I just threw up again.  Anyone, please advise!  I feel very sick!  I am 4 weeks out

White Dove
on 5/13/14 1:56 pm - Warren, OH

If drinking liquids hurts, try some sugarfree popsicles to keep you hydrated.  You seem to have developed a stricture, so call your surgeon tomorrow.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cabin111
on 5/13/14 2:04 pm, edited 5/13/14 2:08 pm

You may have a stricture.  They most likely occur at 3 weeks, but can occur at any time.  Call your surgeon.  Below is a copy and paste on them.

What is a stricture?  This question comes up weekly, if not daily on OH.  Below is a copy and paste from Wikipedia.  If you are a few weeks out post op from RNY and have problems keeping well chewed food (even water) down, you might have a stricture.  Very common and very treatable (about 5% of RNY patients get them).  Also do not freak out if you have to go back a second or third time to get treated for one.  The Gastroenterologist will go just below the pouch and air up the "balloon" .  It is an outpatient procedure and you will be sedated.

As the anastomosis (surgical connection between between the pouch and small intestine) heals, it forms scar tissue, which naturally tends to shrink ("contract") over time, making the opening smaller. This is called a "stricture". Usually, the passage of food through an anastomosis will keep it stretched open, but if the inflammation and healing process outpaces the stretching process, scarring may make the opening so small that even liquids can no longer pass through it. The solution is a procedure called gastroendoscopy, and stretching of the connection by inflating a balloon inside it. Sometimes this manipulation may have to be performed more than once to achieve lasting correction.

Toni4321
on 5/13/14 2:11 pm

Thank you.  I have left a message for my dr

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 397 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 385 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 323 views