10 years post Gastric Bypass, gaining weight

bevsdl
on 5/8/14 11:52 am - Powder Springs, GA

Hi All.  Very glad to have found this web site, Im getting desperate.  I had GB about 10 years ago, lost 130 lbs and felt amazing.  I have had plastic surgery and feel like I had reached my ultimate goal in life.  Felt good and looked wonderful,  lots of compliments and riding high.  I have found in the past 3 years Ive sloowwwly gained about 30 lbs.!!  In the past few weeks Ive torn my calf muscle, (trying to play tennis!!) and I cant do much exercise for about 6 weeks.  Having said that, one of my main concerns is that I don't have much trouble with food any more, I have control, eat well, prepare my own food and a lot of veggies.  In other words, I have a balanced diet and enjoy what I eat, my portions are still very small.  I seem now though, to have substituted alcohol instead.  I know Im taking in far more than I should.  It doesn't affect relationships or work, so I don't feel its alcoholism, but it seems like I have exchanged one addiction or appeasement for another e.g. alcohol for food.  If anyone has advice, help or anything to get me through this I would greatly appreciate it.  Of course the main thing is to get off the desire for the alcohol, its really bothering me right now.  Thanks all.  Bev

Bsheldon
on 5/8/14 10:38 pm

My advice, and you probably aren't going to like it, is stop drinking. My best friend is in the hospital right now because she had a gastric bypass about 10 years ago and somewhere in there started drinking again. Hers, however, is alcoholism. She has been in the hospital for four weeks, three of those sedated in ICU, because her liver tried to shut down. I almost lost my best friend at the age of 41 due to drinking after surgery. Granted she was an alcoholic and drank a LOT, but still, paired with the RNY, it is a death sentence in my opinion. Take it for what it is worth. It sounds like you have a better handle on it and the only harm for you at this point is a little weight gain. So, maybe just try to cut down some.

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

ecm1109
on 5/9/14 3:31 am

I agree with the above poster, Stop Drinking.  If you are unable to do it on your own, then you may need to seek out help.  I know a lot of alcoholics whose disease did not affect work or relationships.  If you think that you have traded addictions, you may want to consider finding an "open"  meeting of alcoholics anonymous in your area. You can listen to the stories of those that are there and see if you can relate.  There is a solution, and members of AA will gladly share their experience, strength and hope with you!  Best of luck to you.

JA
on 5/9/14 8:53 pm - East Haven, CT

First of all congratulations on your success.  I, too, am ten years out (this July).  It's very easy to gain.  By the grace of God and hard work, I have kept my 100 lb weight loss at that. I go up/down +/- 3 lbs, but don't allow myself much more than that.  Alcohol is pure sugar, sugar makes us gain weight.  Also, our livers are very sensitive, so, like all the other posters indicate, the drinking isn't good.  Good luck, and feel free to reach out to talk any time.  You are such a success, don't let alcohol ruin your success.

JA

Cath
on 4/6/16 1:37 am
Most Active
Recent Topics