Pain meds question

Christine24
on 5/8/14 9:33 am
RNY on 03/24/14

After surgery we can no longer take ibuprofen, so what do you take for things like headaches, muscle aches, back pain, etc...? Tylenol does not work. I called my doctors office and spoke with the nurse, who told me she would talk to the doctor and call me back, 24 hours later they finally call back and left me a message telling me to take Tylenol.....I just told them Tylenol doesn't work!!! It's frustrating! 

Kimberly K.
on 5/8/14 9:42 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Well I think this is something you just have to accept. There are not many other choices unless you go with an Opioid pain medication but you don't want to get started on that sort of thing. As you take off the weight, those aches an pains will diminish. Maybe try a heating pad, or ice. A hot shower or bath if your incisions are healed. You can buy over the counter analgesic creams too. Sorry there is not a simpler answer but NSAIDS are no longer an option for us.

Kim K.    

Christine24
on 5/8/14 9:47 am
RNY on 03/24/14

Thanks for the reply, I am just hurting today, it's pouring rain today and that always seems to make the body hurt more than usual. A hot shower sounds great though, I think I will do that. :)

basilmk
on 5/8/14 10:30 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

While I continually miss my Mobic, I'm now taking Tramadol (prescribed for RNY patients) and Tylenol.  Alone, neither of them do much but taken at the same time, they do quite well.

I had read about taking them together, asked my Dr and he said that it was fine. These are the first things I take in the morning and every waking six hours after.

Good luck with this. I'm just four months out and am also learning about what works for me.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/8/14 12:09 pm - OH

Yes, it is frustrating.  Tylenol has never done anything for any kind of pain I have ever had.  My PCP prescribes Tramadol for things that really require meds, but I do rely on things like ice packs and hot baths as well.

Be aware, though, that the government is thinking about changing Tramadol to a Schedule 2 narcotic (the same category as Vicodin) which is going to make it harder to get (much harder in some states).

I need pain meds infrequently now that I have had both knees replaced, but I spent the first 5+ years post-op taking a lot of Tramadol and Vicodin!  (Losing weight didn't help the pain in my knees much because the arthritis was too advanced.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/8/14 9:58 pm

Narco.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views