Incision scars

Toni4321
on 5/6/14 12:09 pm

Hi, I am still healing from surgery but is there something I could put on my incision scabs or on the scars afterwards that would help them fade?

Thanks

Cunning_Pam
on 5/6/14 12:38 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Nowadays many people report good results with massaging the area of incisions after they've closed up. It seems that all those years of "scar creams" and treatments were on to something, but you don't need expensive creams and lotions. The secret seems to be in the rubbing and massaging. You may notice that your scars aren't very noticeable anyway, but if you're concerned you can try gently rubbing them with any kind of lotion you may have handy. This could result in their being less noticeable.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Toni4321
on 5/6/14 1:14 pm

Thanks, I will do that!

Bibo
on 5/6/14 1:54 pm

I have had many surgeries and after the steri strips are removed, I use extra virgin olive oil. three to four times a day..It's pure vitamin E, and I have NO scars. I also use an aloe vera leaf, cut open and bandaged or lightly taped right on top of the scar. Even my knee replacement scar is completely invisible. I am also light skinned Italian-Irish, and originally the scars were bright purple then bright red then pink. I learned this method from a very dark skinned Native American, who also had NO scars.  Others who have used this have lighter scars. It's not foolproof, but the doctors were impressed.

Toni4321
on 5/7/14 2:23 am

Thanks.  Where can I find aloe Vera leaves?

Bibo
on 5/7/14 9:31 am

I bought an aloe vera plant at a garden center and grow it in my backyard. They are also great for burns.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/6/14 2:09 pm - OH

When I had my panniculectomy, my plastic surgeon told me that all the creams, etc. were a waste of money, but I did a little experiment, anyway.  

Since the incision was HUGE,  I tried various things on different parts of the incision. In the end, there was almost no difference between the areas with the silicone strip, the Vit E oil, the Mederma, or the ordinary moisturizer.  If I was forced to pick the area that looked best, though, it would be the area of the incision that I did nothing but put my normal moisturizer (with aloe) on! 

Even very large incisions usually fade to very thin white lines all on their own. If you had lap surgery, you will eventually probably have trouble even finding the incision sites!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/7/14 3:34 am

OP, my incision scars are very small and white. You would have to squint to find them between the stretchmarks

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Jennichu
on 5/7/14 3:41 am - sacramento, CA

I'm probably not much of a help.  However, I had my surgery November 2008 and while you can still see the scars...they are sooooooooo super light...believe me...they will heal.  I never put anything on mine.  

JenniPenny
on 5/7/14 3:42 am - MN

Mederma or Aqua Phor - it works well and they heal up nicely.

Jen 12+ yrs post op RNY

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 401 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 391 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 294 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 204 views