Need energy to WORK...

MrsD68
on 5/5/14 1:28 am

I am trying very hard to get the amount of protein needed, and since the size of my pouch is still about 3 ounces.. I have to weigh my food out, because after a few mishaps, I realized that I need to be aware of how much is going IN> However,  I am able to manage enough energy to work out after breakfast, and taking breaks between tasks.. like laundry and dishes. I worry how am I going to DO this. The protein does not give a body much ENERGY.. ideas anyone> ? I would also love to ramp up the work outs, but I am already tired out by the time I finish my 30 minutes of whatever I am doing.. 

poet_kelly
on 5/5/14 2:31 am - OH

You don't mention how long ago your surgery was.  When you're able to eat a bit more, you'll probably have more energy.  Are you taking your vitamins?  Have you had labs done lately?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsD68
on 5/5/14 3:22 am

Yep... taking Multi vitamins 2x a day, Calcium with Vitamin D twice a day, and Biotin for hair and nails, per nutritionist  recommendations...TONS of water. I just had my post op, but they did not do labs, I go back in 3 months.

poet_kelly
on 5/5/14 3:25 am - OH

Yeah, they usually don't do labs for about three months.  But you're not taking any iron or B12?  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says you need both of those.  By the way, they also say we need three or four doses of calcium citrate (not carbonate) a day.  We need a total of 1500 to 2000 mg a day, but can only absorb about 500 mg at a time, so that's why it needs to be taken three or four times a day.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bsheldon
on 5/5/14 10:29 am

B-12 is essential for energy. I would take it even if your NUT didn't mention it. Mine did not have me take Biotin, but I am considering starting on it anyway.

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

MrsD68
on 5/6/14 2:15 am

I forgot to mention that one too.. I am on so many doggone supplements, I feel like a walking drugstore!! Yes, I take the B12 in the morning, I have the extra strength one, I figure I need it!! The nutritionist said the Biotin, can help with the hair loss. 

jefferytmc
on 5/5/14 2:47 am

The energy will come.  Sometimes it is difficult to see, but it does.

You are right that protein does not provide energy, but what are you consuming other than protein?

And don't push yourself too hard on the workouts, just do what you can that will allow you the energy to make it through your day.

I took a lot of naps when I was recovering before I went back to work.  But now (11 weeks out)  I feel great.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

MrsD68
on 5/5/14 3:20 am

My surgery was April 15th.. I have 1 week to get work ready. I don't have capacity to hold much so by the time I eat protein, I have no more room. I plan snacks 2 times a day, and usually try to eat stuff like cottage cheese, or string cheese, eggs... deli meat. I dont know how to get carbs in yet.. My energy gets me thru the work outs but then I am pretty tanked... 

poet_kelly
on 5/5/14 3:26 am - OH

Cottage cheese does have some carbs.  Are you drinking protein shakes?  A protein shake made with skim milk is a good way to get both carbs and protein in.  I also ate a lot of beans for protein in the early days, which are a good source of protein as well as fiber and complex carbs.

Cunning_Pam
on 5/5/14 3:47 am
RNY on 12/18/13

You're still pretty early in your post op period which means your energy level is not back up to snuff yet. It may be a couple more weeks before you feel 100% again. In the meantime, it's ok to take it a little easier on yourself. If your workouts are draining all your energy, you can back off a little bit and then ramp back up as you start feeling stronger and more energetic. It looks like you're doing fine with your protein if you're eating the things you said, are you tracking your intake so you know exactly how much you're getting?

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 328 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 280 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 346 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 280 views