Trouble with tossing and turning at night 7.5 weeks out of RNY

Blackbird1987
on 4/21/14 10:22 pm

Good morning! 

For a few weeks now, I have been having trouble with tossing and turning at night when I sleep. I like to sleep on my side and since the surgery, if I lay on one side for too long I wake up feeling sore on that side and I need to turn over to the other side or my back and then I wake up again feeling like I need to turn to a new side. Has anyone else experienced this? I am not in pain or anything but it feels like I get a little achy if I lay on one side for too long. 

How were your sleeping patterns post op months 1-3 vs 4-6 and beyond? 

Other than the sleep issue, I feel great! Everything else feels pretty normal and I am loving life again :) 

Dcgirl
on 4/21/14 10:37 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I asked my surgeon about this at one month post-op and he said surgery should not affect my sleeping.  But since surgery my sleep has been TERRIBLE.  No soreness, but I fall asleep and then wake up at 3 or 4 or 5 am and just lie there, tossing and turning. Which is weird because I am exercising a lot, and no longer snoring, so you would think my quality of sleep would improve!  Curious if others will weigh in.  I am so tired....but also loving life ;)

Blackbird1987
on 4/21/14 11:45 pm

I am in the same boat!  I think soreness may be the wrong word for me to use, more like I just wake up and just toss and turn until I fall asleep again. My fiance says that I no longer snore either! YAY! I thought I would be sleeping much better but I am still just tossing and turning all night. 

Cunning_Pam
on 4/21/14 10:59 pm, edited 4/21/14 11:16 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

I've had the opposite experience as DCgirl. I'm sleeping better than ever. For the first time in ages my alarm is actually waking me up from a deep sleep instead of me lying in bed staring at the ceiling waiting for the alarm to go off! Once I fall asleep I stay asleep (barring a cat jumping on my head or something.) Now, I do feel the soreness you describe many mornings. To my mind, that's a function of the fact that the weight loss is making things settle onto a mattress differently. When I lie down I can feel my limbs and body having to be in different places than they're used to, and this (I think) contributes to the soreness. I've found that a pillow between my knees helps, as does sleeping on my stomach. It's something that won't resolve until sometime after I reach goal is my thinking. I could be totally wrong about that, but it seems logical to me.

I'm glad everything else is going well for you!

(Edited to add missing words!)

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Blackbird1987
on 4/21/14 11:48 pm

Thank you! And congratulations on the snoozing! :) I agree with you that a pillow between my knees feels MUCH better for me now… who knew we had so many bones??? haha!  I feel my body settling differently as well and I find myself only needing to lay my head on one pillow now as opposed to the 2 that I used to prop up on. perhaps I need to find some new positions to sleep in. I haven't slept on my stomach yet. 

JJ0609
on 4/21/14 11:06 pm

I just attributed it to everything being adjusted and moved around in my stomach. It went away after a little while. Sorry your sleep is interrupted. Nothing makes me meaner than a booger bear than having my sleep interrupted! LOL! Hope everything gets settled so you can sleep through the night and morning.  

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Blackbird1987
on 4/21/14 11:49 pm

Thank you! I totally agree that sleep is very important! Perhaps I will try sleeping on my stomach and seeing how that goes. I hope that my sleeping patterns get sorted out and that I can sleep through the night… that hasn't happened in years! :) 

Ocalasam
on 4/21/14 11:46 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I've always had trouble sleeping - but it's always been trouble falling asleep.  Since my surgery, I am like DCGirl.  I wake up at 3 or 4 and can't go back to sleep, then I am really tired the next day.  Ambien will get me to sleep, but not keep me asleep.  I stopped taking it because it would make me eat after I took it and I would wake up the next morning and have no idea that I ate....it was so weird!!!  For the first time in my life, I started taking Xanax to sleep and it works like a charm.  Best sleep ever, with no weird side effects.

Blackbird1987
on 4/21/14 11:51 pm

Ohhhh, that is very interesting, I never considered taking any meds to help fall asleep. I always had trouble sleeping before the surgery and would wake up occasionally through the night to turn over or something but I feel like now I am wide awake and turning over and sleeping and then repeating this throughout the night. I hope it goes away soon! 

Dcgirl
on 4/22/14 1:50 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Ugh - I have also tried Ambien and it makes me fall asleep (the poor people I talk to or text after taking it lol, I am soooo out of it!) but doesn't keep me asleep.

I am a HUGE fan of Xanax, but also a bit of a hoarder so I can't take it every night since most docs won't give me a script to replenish my stash lol.  Probably because I use it recreationally as opposed to for an anxiety disorder :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 236 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 123 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?