Interesting Day

Kimberly K.
on 4/18/14 10:12 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Well this was an interesting day. It is my husband's birthday today and on his birthday I usually cook him whatever he wants. Obviously this is the first year that I have ever cooked a delicious meal and did not eat any of it. I should add I will be 1 month post op on Monday so still on pureed until next week.

You know it was hard. I love to cook. In fact, while I was making my decision to have surgery, the fact that I love to cook was a concern to me. But I love my husband and he didn't have WLS so I did it for him. Stooped to the pity party at first, I admit it but then I got a grip.  I grilled shrimp, vegetables, made potatoes in foil. Soon I can eat grilled shrimp and vegetables. Won't be in massive quantities as it used to be but I really don't want to go back to that anyway. So instead I had ricotta bake (props to EggFace--an inspiring WLS veteran and awesome cook) and had a moment of gratitude for having had the surgery.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and Happy Easter if that is what your celebrate

Kim K.    

Cunning_Pam
on 4/18/14 10:40 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Great story! Happy birthday to your husband, my husbeast's birthday is on Monday. Great guys born in April!

And good for you for dealing with the cooking and food issues so well. I made my hubby surf-n-turf with a filet and lobster tail about four weeks out, and I remember how hard it was, but I also kept reminding myself that he didn't have the surgery, I did. And I don't remember what I ate but it was fine. Now I can cook him whatever and barely bat an eye, but it wasn't always so easy. Kudos to you for handling it like a rock star!  

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Kimberly K.
on 4/19/14 7:27 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Thanks Pam! I love that you call your husband the husbeast. Too funny! Wow surf and turf. Yum.

Kim K.    

rvtisme
on 4/18/14 12:35 pm
RNY on 12/16/13

Good for you! I started cooking family meals 1 week out of surgery, and my daughter who had surgery too asked how I could stand to be around good food smells, and I told her, I've got 4 other people to feed, so I had better get use to it. It was hard while going through the liquid, puréed and soft food stages, but thankfully, got it done. But now in all honesty, when I cook my family meals, 4 months post op, I do taste their food. I've found it gets it out of my head and I don't sit there thinking about it all night.

good luck on your journey. Best wishes to your husband.

renee

HW: 355, SW 314.2, GW: 165 - Surgery Date 12/16/13

Kimberly K.
on 4/19/14 7:30 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Yes, we gotta do what we gotta do, right? Today I am cooking a turkey for Easter at my daughters house and it smells darn good in here.

Kim K.    

tdbull
on 4/18/14 2:21 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Great for you!! Soon this will become a way of life. I am spending the weekend with my family at the beach. Mom made clam chowder, bread, cauliflower with cheese and green salad. I brought my own food and ate my turkey breast, steamed zucchini and salad and nobody bothered me about it and I was perfectly satisfied.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Kimberly K.
on 4/19/14 7:33 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Nice. You are very disciplined. Your food sounds really good to me too. I'm determined to learn to eat healthy as well.

Kim K.    

selhard
on 4/18/14 9:06 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

A pity party is part of the grieving process.  Not only will your new eating lifestyle get easier, it becomes preferred!  Yes, I celebrate Easter--new beginnings--how appropriate for all of us.

Kimberly K.
on 4/19/14 7:34 am
RNY on 03/21/14

so true about new beginnings. For the first time in a long time I feel optimistic about the future. Yay us!

Kim K.    

JJ0609
on 4/18/14 10:02 pm

Great restraint gals! It is hard at first and then become natural to not have certain foods. Breads, pastas, and rice are my weaknesses. I do really miss them since I tend to make them a lot. (Oh man I would love some lasagna, spaghetti and other pasta dishes with garlic or cheese bread. LOL! Yummy! Okay I am done dreaming! LOL!) When I save some of the meat (i.e. meatballs, chicken, pork) and sauce on the side for me so I can eat some of the same meal that my family is eating.

I wish everyone a Happy Easter. Remember Easter is not about the bunny, it is about the Lamb!   

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 44 views