Isolate vs Concentrate New and Vets weight in please

bdaycakegirl
on 4/8/14 11:21 am

I see so many people drinking protein shakes that are not whey isolate, which I was told my shakes had to be. I was forbidden concentrate (muscle milk, premier, atkins, etc). The isolate is the worst tasting IMO.

Were others not told this? Can vets weight in.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

The Salty Hag
on 4/8/14 12:50 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Not a vet, but as far as I know, and have read here, we can absorb whey protein concentrate. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Teri Turner
on 4/8/14 6:35 pm - WA

Whey is the easiest for the shortened gut the absorb.  The isolate, if I have it correct, gives the least chance of milk sensitivity & gas. 

Casein is a type of protein found in some protein shakes.   It is very poorly absorbed in the shortened gut.  

Aside from check the ingredients for types of protein, grams of carbohydrate, flavor rules the day. 

Happy weight loss! 

poet_kelly
on 4/8/14 8:00 pm - OH

I don't think it's whey isolate that tastes bad.  Some brands made with whey isolate may taste bad, but others may taste great.  Anyway, we can absorb whey isolate, whey concentrate, soy isolate, calcium caseinate, egg white, and many other forms of protein.  Whey concentrate is made from milk.  You absorb the protein in a glass of skim milk, don't you?  And in yogurt, and cottage cheese, and a slice of cheese?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AnnyBananny
on 4/8/14 11:09 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

My program also highly recommends using whey protein isolate. At this point, that's what I'm sticking to. I use Syntrax Nectar and must agree, some of the flavors I've tried have been, well, disgusting. Here are my go-tos, maybe they'll work for you, they're the only ones I can stand at the moment:

1. Lemon Tea mixed with water, just as is

2. Roadside Lemonade mixed with water, a 2GO packet of 4C lemonade added to make it really tart

3. Chocolate Truffle mixed with unsweetened almond milk, 1 tbsp of SF chocolate pudding mix to make it silky and sometimes a tbsp of SF syrup like mocha or hazelnut

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

MyLady Heidi
on 4/8/14 11:26 pm

I drank shakes for 6 weeks, whatever I could stomach.  It was a whey isolate in chocolate, I don't recall the brand.  I have never drank another since 6 weeks out nor will I ever drink another protein drink again.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics