Getting your water in - Tips?

Mimi2Konnor
on 4/6/14 11:34 am
RNY on 06/03/14

For those of you that are post op - - do you have any advice or tips for us awaiting surgery to help make sure we get our water in?  The info I received from the nut says to drink 1 oz of water every 10 minutes.  Did you use a timer or something to remind you?  Any apps that work well for this?  

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

kbinaz
on 4/6/14 11:49 am

It's not rocket science!  Just drink!  I'm supposed to have 64 ounces of water a day so the easiest thing for me is to know how much water fits in my glass, cup or  bottle.  If I'm drinking 20 ounce water bottles I try to drink one before lunch, one before dinner and one after dinner.  There is no need to limit each sip to one ounce.  You will figure out real fast how much water you can swallow at a time, and once that swallow goes down you can immediately take another sip.  I can drink pretty large amounts of water.  (the fuller I am after a meal the harder it is to drink large amounts right away - even with waiting the half hour - so I adjust accordingly)  Some days get busy and I can't be as methodical and careful so I just try to always have water available and always be cognizant that I need to drink.  Don't over complicate it!  You can pre-measure 64 ounces of water in the morning and stick it in the refrigerator and drink it all day - whatever works best for you.  Just don't get too crazy!  It will all become pretty routine pretty quickly!  You'll do fine!

newmeinprogress
on 4/6/14 11:50 am

I just posted the exact question! I'm three weeks out and having a hard time with water intake. I think my issue may be that I'm scared I will stretch my pouch but I also once I get my day going I seem to just forget...Plus not drinking 30 minutes before and after eating kind of throws me off. Right now what I'm trying to do is to keep a bottle of water with me at ALL times where I can see it so I don't forget. Hope you get more and better feed back! Good luck!!!

AnnyBananny
on 4/6/14 11:59 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

My programs wants you to have 1-2 oz of clear liquid an hour for the first week, then move on to 3-4 oz of clear or full liquids for the second week. Because during those two weeks I was home and that was all I was ingesting, I used a juice glass and would put the 2 or 4 oz. in the glass at the top of each hour and sip on it throughout (when I had to go out for something I would use a water bottle and if I was going to be out for a few hours I would bring a big bottle with the liquid, but measure it into a smaller bottle so I could still make sure I was only taking in the right amount).

Now I'm 3 weeks out and can have up to 8 oz in the hour, so I'm doing a similar thing but using a sippy-style water bottle since I'm out and about more. Today for the first time I kind of "winged it" with the number of oz I had in my bottle and I have to admit I was totally uncomfortable with that. I'm going to stick to measuring for now. I'm sure as I am further out from surgery and the recommendations for intake are less strict, I'll become more comfortable, but for now I figure - why risk it!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

SHMILY
on 4/6/14 1:35 pm

I could be mistaken but I don't believe water can stretch your pouch.....especially as fast as it passes through to the bladder! Drinking my water has not been an issue for me as I am dry and thirsty all the time.

I drink well over 100 ounces a day

Surgery Feb 26, 2014. Starting wt 270 lbs

poet_kelly
on 4/6/14 8:42 pm - OH

Only one or two ounces an hour?  That  means if you never slept you'd only get 24 to 48 ounces in a whole day!  How do you keep from getting dehydrated?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AnnyBananny
on 4/6/14 11:53 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

That was just the first week that I was restricted to 1-2 ounces an hour. I didn't felt thirsty and my urine was almost clear - so it never was a problem for me, I just followed my clinic's instructions and I've been doing great. 

This morning I saw my PCP and said I was worried about only getting 50ish ounces of liquid in throughout the day at this point and she said to jus****ch my urine and if it was close to clear that wasn't bad. 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

poet_kelly
on 4/6/14 8:41 pm - OH

If you only drink one ounce every 10 minutes, you'll have trouble getting in 64 ounces in a day!  I just carried my drink everywhere with me, even to the bathroom, and sipped constantly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karin602
on 4/7/14 3:41 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I also find herbal tea helps me get fluid in. Plain water does not sit as well in my pouch - I can actually seem to feel it move through and kind of thud along.  Warm liquids don't seem to do that - plus I always seem to have one at hand and can sip it slowly as it is usually pretty hot.  I use a 2 cup mug (16 oz.) so it cuts down on how many I need to drink during the day and I start early  so I'm not up all night in the bathroom!

Karin

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 359 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 335 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 352 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?