Month and a half out and starting on new foods... what were your favorites?

Blackbird1987
on 4/1/14 12:19 am

I am on week 6 from RNY and have been given the go-ahead to start reintroducing regular foods to my diet. I am really sick of eggs and dairy isn't sitting super well with me still so I am having cheese little by little.

I have talked to some Veteran RNY'ers who said that they just started eating regular foods with small bites and lots of chewing and they were fine, while others on this board have mentioned horror stories about salads and things that didn't work for them and lots of vomiting and discomfort. I am really worried about the latter so I have been playing it really really safe. I am getting really tired of having to have separate meals from everyone else and would like to start back on a normal life. Everything that I have been cooking is lean and low fat and I am swapping out beef for turkey and it looks good  but I am just so scared. 

I have been having a difficult time getting my protein in every day because I can't stand the powders so I want to introduce some meat into my diet. (I have had beans as well) 

Should I just go for it? Can I eat healthy cereal in the morning?

chulbert
on 4/1/14 12:23 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

One of my absolute favorite "real foods" was a few slices of lean deli turkey, a little cheese, and some avocado.  You can lay out the turkey with some overlap between the slices and roll the whole thing up.  Then you put it in a sizzling pan on each side for a minute.

Blackbird1987
on 4/1/14 12:29 am

YUM! That sounds really good! I will absolutely try that! I want to get some good nutrients in my system! 

Dcgirl
on 4/1/14 12:43 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Mmmm some of my favorites are:

Grill a piece of cheese in a small saucepan until it gets a crust, then roll a piece of deli turkey in it :)

Ground turkey (99% fat free) - a 20 oz package makes like six meals!  Some I flavor with taco seasoning and eat with a little bit of shredded light mexican cheese, some I season with italian seasoning and eat with a dollop of marinara and some light shredded mozzarella cheese

Ground turkey meatloaf

Sauteed shrimp with olive oil and garlic, or with a tbsp of pesto

Veggie burgers (Morningstar Vegan Grillers I love) with a slice of cheese melted on top, with a tbsp of ketchup and mustard

Turkey bacon

Moist chicken breast 

And the one protein shake that I freaking LOVE is Syntrax Matrix mint cookie.  Go to Bariatric Pantry and order a sample pack.  By far the best protein powders I have ever found (though I know we all have different tastes)

I do not do healthy cereal.  I keep my carbs at 20 g or less a day.  That's a personal decision.  But if you want to get 70 or more grams of protein a day, cereal is not going to get you there.  Plus, you will feel full faster, and stay more full longer, if you eat dense protein (chicken, turkey, pork, etc.).  Just try things little by little and read the "What's on the menu today RNYers" post I do everyday.  It's a great way to get ideas.  Plenty of people cook the same thing for their family as for themselves, but their family gets starches too.  I personally have a busy social life and eat out quite a bit but I can always find chicken or fish or even the cheese plate (minus the bread and honey).  Good luck!

Blackbird1987
on 4/1/14 2:17 am

YUM YUM YUM! I just got some morning star items and I will have to try them! Have you tried any kind of stew at all? I had this terrific recipe for beef stew with veggies in it but I don't think I can do the beef yet, I wonder if I just made veggie stew how it would go over. I could maybe put turkey in it?

Dcgirl
on 4/1/14 3:28 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I sub in 99% fat free turkey into everything!  Tacos, chili, stew...go for it!  Boil down the veggies and add the turkey and some spices and I bet it will be good!

hibbyangel
on 4/1/14 1:26 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

chicken chili,wonton tacos(ground chicken) and meatloaf (chicken usually but I do make it with beef) are probably my favourite to this day(8.5 months out). I crave beans as well which i used to hate. I eat a cereal called natures path optimum slim, 9g protein per serving(I live in ontario canada..so im not sure you can get it where you live).

Blackbird1987
on 4/1/14 2:15 am

Thank you! What are wonton tacos? They sound yummy! 

hibbyangel
on 4/1/14 5:36 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

you make ground chicken add taco seasoning to meat (cook as directed) put a wonton wrapper in a muffin tin. add a little meat mixture. i also add a little salsa and a sprinkle low fat cheese and bake the until wrapper is golden (only a few mins) 

Ocalasam
on 4/1/14 2:01 am
RNY on 12/18/12

It took me a while to adjust to real food, so, take it slow!  I really liked refried beans and cheese, Wendy's chili, very thinly sliced lunch meat.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views